The reckoning has arrived - big $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the GM warranty apply with the self install? Have read that an approved shop has to do the work. That's a good looking machine, especially after 200K miles in Michigan.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the GM warranty apply with the self install? Have read that an approved shop has to do the work. That's a good looking machine, especially after 200K miles in Michigan.

Not sure. Had the engine swap done at my buddy's shop, and they are an authorized GM shop. Not a job I was willing to take on myself. We'll do the brakes at my buddy's house - he's been a mechanic for 30 years. I got rid of a lot of my specialty tools a long time ago and only now am starting to rebuild the collection.

Regarding her condition - she's not a daily driver, and she's been garaged religiously for the 7 1/2 years I've owned her. Only light surface rust on some spots underneath, and zero body rust. In an average month, she sits for 28 days, and works for 3.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts trickling in...new AC/Delco PS pump, new AC/Delco master cylinder, Gates high-pressure hoses - all received.

The Powerstop kit from Walmart was only half right. Two sets of front calipers/rotors/pads. One 8-lug, one 6-lug. :confused: :(

Ordered the same kit from Auto Anything, just got the notice it's shipping out today. So probably next weekend we'll get on replacing all that stuff. It'll be a good Father's Day present to myself.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Man, I love to see UPS, USPS and Fed Ex pull up with my parts.

I have seen some bad reports about Fed Ex for deliveries but I must be lucky. My Fed Ex guy is always there when he is supposed to be. Maybe he has a great route.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess this is why the emergency/parking brake never worked, eh? :confused:

I have to admit I'm torn - I like my stuff working properly, but I've also gone 7 years without it, so do I spend the extra money?

Screenshot_20210608-085305_Message+.jpg

We would need to pull hubs and we'd need seals, gaskets, lube, e-brake shoes and e-brake hardware.

I think I'll pass at the moment.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess this is why the emergency/parking brake never worked, eh? :confused:

I have to admit I'm torn - I like my stuff working properly, but I've also gone 7 years without it, so do I spend the extra money?

View attachment 281300

We would need to pull hubs and we'd need seals, gaskets, lube, e-brake shoes and e-brake hardware.

I think I'll pass at the moment.

Without the parking brake, all that weight is on the parking pawl in the transmission, even more so if she's not parked level.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2500 Suburban has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Completely reliable (except for the computer running me out of gas a few times), very low cost of ownership as the odometer rolled 200k miles.

Had a major issue with her - loss of oil pressure. The result was engine damage, and the oil looking like metal flake paint. I looked at used car prices, 2500 prices, and decided I'm going to keep her long-term.

GM remanufactured engine - 100k mile warranty. Replaced some leaky cooler lines. A few other things. Decided AGAINST any performance mods - cam, forced induction, etc - since whatever I did was still bolting up to a 200k mile transmission. If the transmission goes, then, well, we might do some "improvements."

Next up - new braking system - Powerstop Z36 calipers, rotors and pads, new power steering pump (hydroboost brakes), new master cylinder. Freaking Walmart had the best price on the PowerStop kit - $824. Should look pretty sharp with the red powder-coated calipers peeking out from the wheels.

Closing in on $10k invested.

A few pics to start....More updates coming....Brakes will be done in a few weeks...

My baby
M2lTiQF.jpg

Out with the old - guess the manifold leaks were the cause of the ticking? LoL
2xkPqyP.jpg

In with the new...
WD1GGdA.jpg
What did the engine run you? My 08 express van has the 6.0 in it so I’m expecting it to have a similar engine as this. Runs good for now but something is telling me to prepare for the worst

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep