The Mystical Misfire...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, let me start off by saying I haven't been on here in a while due to being an engineering major in college... not much time for this crazy aspect of life called 'fun' :) But anywho, I have this really bad misfire going on that I cannot get to the bottom of...

99 tahoe 5.7, 160,***. 4 door 4WD.

It started 3.5 years ago after I replaced my intake gaskets. But nothing major, truck made 100% power and had a virtually unnoticeable lope at idle. No other issues, no codes etc.

About a year later, I noticed the truck would really struggle in the summer heat with both A/C units running and steering pump in use. Every 30 seconds or so the engine would fall flat on its face. Not stall, just drop to about 350rpm, ECU would idle it up for a few seconds and it would be fine. THIS is when I wanted to take care of it, but being a college kid at his father's mercy, I gained no ground on fixing it. I would get an occasional P0305 on the highway, usually accompanied by a slight loss in power. Couldn't feel a misfire though.

Fast forward about six months. Dizzy went out, replaced that, tranny went out, rebuilt with beast sunshell(kept original TC), rebuilt rear axle(bad pinion bearings), and replaced some seals on front axle. All pretty much not related to engine.

THEN, it got worse, terrible misfire on the highway. Loses some power, obviously. The misfire is generally above 60mph, flashing SES almost guaranteed. TC unlocks, maybe due to ECU sensing misfire? I also notice that it 'bucks' every once in a while, right around 45mph, like the TC is going out. Hold like a rock though under power. Im honestly afraid to take the thing above 50, because I'm not going to risk misfiring it to death like some idiot. I get misfire codes all over the place... But NEVER below 65mph.

Tested for vacuum leaks, none...
EGR seems fine.. no codes.
All cylinders compressing to 150PSI (+/- 2 PSI)
No other codes whatsoever....
Eats a bit of oil, nothing crazy for 160K miles...
Doesn't eat coolant...
Plugs look fine as well. They were all a nice even color.
No rattling in cats either. But exhaust makes a ton of condensation. Not sweet like coolant, no colors, just condensation.
Smells like its running a little rich.

any help guys? Im at a loss here.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the p0305 points to a problem in cylinder 5 whether it be a dizzy cap, wire, or valve and so forth. a torque converter does not simply blip and kill your power like that. would suggest while the fault is in play that you get info on the misfire history on a scanner to narrow the cylinders acting up. it could potentially detect drop-offs in powertrain sensor data. give your wire bundles and ground points a once over. make sure all fully connected and not pinched anywhere. your tc unlocked as programmed.

Beechwood

Reaction score
I had a bucking/ misfire problem for a long time. Turned out to be my Crankshaft sensor wire grounding out on the manifold. It was a $1 fix, but I replaced $350 in parts chasing it down before it was found.

laredo1307

Reaction score
What kind of plugs and wires ar you using. Are the plugs gapped correctly? Are the wires corroded on the inside? Maybe one of your wires is arcing or pinched somewhere. I would start with all the small stuff first. When you replaced your distributor cap did you go aftermarket. If the leads under the cap are brass then they may be corroded. I dealt first hand with this and immediately went back with OEM ACDelco ignition parts.

lowpost99

Lowpost99
Reaction score
I had a bucking/ misfire problem for a long time. Turned out to be my Crankshaft sensor wire grounding out on the manifold. It was a $1 fix, but I replaced $350 in parts chasing it down before it was found.
Hello, I was wondering where is the ground wire for the crankshaft sensor is grounded to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh