The "End all Be all" Tahoe/Yukon 6 disc changer delete thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReiGnMaN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay guy's and gals... Lurker and couldn't stand it anymore as when I hunted, NOBODY had a final answer or solution to the 6 disc changer so here you go... The EASIEST way, and arguably the best way as you're using all your factory equipment.

You'll need a MFR # 98-8999 by METRA as others have mentioned.

1: Flat head screwdriver
1: Phillips screwdriver
1: 98-8999 metra kit console cubby
1: GMC Yukon/Chevrolet tahoe with 6 disc changer
2: wood screws 6x1/2 (possibly a little longer, wouldn't hurt)
1: hammer
1: cordless drill
1: 1/8 drill bit
2-4: washers/rubber o-rings (ymmv)

Step 1: Remove the center console cover

Step 2: Remove 2 phillips screws holding the 6 disc changer

Step 3: set your 6 disc changer on a stool/ground/hard surface and slowly with the flat head screwdriver/chisel tap the press riveted mounts off the side of the 6 disc changer. This can easily be done but work one side and then the other. The last thing you want is to bang them out of shape.

Step 4: this is the cool factor here... Drill the furthest forward rivet hole out which will in turn become your new mount to the metra insert.

Step 5: I used a little red loctite here, fact being if it did "melt" the plastic a little it would aid in the adhesion and if it just worked as normal no harm no foul their either. Screw the wood screw (or get self tappers if you're fancy and not a home owner with a junk drawer) I would recommend test fitting the unit first or leaving a small distance between the mounting tab rivet and the cubby as it'll be a tight fit later when you try and install the pocket into the dashboard for the two screws. If you over tighten the screws snug to the plastic hole you'll notice it will stress the cubby when you go to install it and may crack the tab, no bueno. Id leave approximately a 1/16 gap between your mounting tab from the 6 disc changer and the cubby insert. Worst case, when you install it you tighten it down one more time and take out any play. You will see however once you put the dash cover back on, it'll firm it up there as well. When you screw the 6 disc changer tab into the metra pocket, use the top, furthest forward hole.

Step 6: I used washers and nylon O rings here, you'll notice there is a small amount of space on the passenger side of the cubby insert which I overcame by stacking my O-rings forward and rearward of the washer and placing that behind my factory 6 disc changer mounting tab.

Step 7: Screw in both mounting tab screws. You'll see here it's a little tight as mentioned earlier in step 5. Worst case you can always "massage" the mounting tabs. The difficult part here is I don't know how bent or warped your tabs are after removal but I can assure you, if you didn't bludgeon them with a hammer, you'll be amazed how damn factory close the fitment is.

Step 8: test your fitment, you can always move the tabs one way or the other, but you may have to remove a washer, add a washer etc but this will get you where you need to be....

IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1321.JPG IMG_1329.JPG IMG_1332.JPG IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1321.JPG IMG_1329.JPG IMG_1332.JPG IMG_1343.JPG

I've got some video clips and could always make a short video but this seemed fairly self explanatory. If you guys have any questions let me know... I hated not knowing what to get to make it work and making your own brackets to get angles right, offset etc... nightmare. THIS will work.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine had different brackets on my 02 Denali. They were the type that clip into place as you slide it in. It took careful measurement also but a single DIN pocket worked great. That's the problem with the stereos in our rigs- there's so many different combinations of setups. Possibly why you can't find one solution that works for them all. I documented mine in my build thread.

IMG_2460.JPG IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2462.JPG IMG_2463.JPG IMG_2468.JPG

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Thank you been thinking for forever on how to delete cleanly. this is it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine slightly different. I took the same brackets off of the disc changer but then I mounted this bracket to each side of the pocket with the flush screws supplied. Then attacked the bracket using the other screws supplied in this spot. It ended up mounting perfectly allowing a little adjustment so that theres no gaps.

20181227_145427.jpg 15459407193346229933285201307927.jpg 15459407522991876503655725867939.jpg