the easy way out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so heres the deal. i need new tires to pass inspection and i want to put 285/75r16s on my 98. i know they wont fit at the stock height and i have 3" blocks for the back already so i want to just use some torsion keys for the front but i dont want to mess up the shocks when i go off road (not too often) and i dont want to screw up the CV joints or the overall ride of the truck..2.5-3" keys wont do that will they?

Cartwright

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swap wheels with someone for the inspection and Save up some more and buy a lift. Cranking the keys gives you a horrible ride if you crank too much.

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ What he said, you crank too much and you'll bottom out the suspension and you basically have no downtravel, and that opens a whole can of worms you do not want to open. Over stock height, you can normally get 1.5-2" at the very most, more than that, and you'll start spitting out cv seals left and right, you'll grind through balljoints like no other, and it'll ride like shit. Do a little crank, or do it right, you'll save yourself a headache in the long run.

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would be buying new keys from a leveling kit not cranking the factory ones

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cranking keys is cranking keys. Buying aftermarket keys just makes it cost more money.

clownracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if 285/75/16s wont fit whats the biggest tire you can stuff under stock suspension?

Yukon&Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cranking the T-bars changes your CV axle angle..... so yes they may wear/fail faster if you cranky, cranky. Even if you install other keys, as your still changing axle angles from stock! Note: your front end ride firmness will also change when you crank!

Edit.................

Opps I see I'm a few minutes late "noJeepshere" already answered the original question.

I believe with only minimal cranking of stock keys and plastic trimming you could fit the 285/75/16's?!?!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo