The benefits of correct air pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natetech

Reaction score
Skeptical about Nitrogen fill

Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen, so they don't seep past the rubber and lose air nearly as quickly. Also, nitrogen doesn't expand or contract like oxygen, so tires pressures stay more consistent.

You give two reasons: The first one is easily debunked, in my humble opinion...

If a tire lets O2 out, but keeps nitrogen in. It's like a sieve. Or a filter.

So, after three or four fills of regular air, it should have a MUCH higher percentage of nitrogen to oxygen, because more oxygen is leaking out than nitrogen.

Which would make paying extra for nitrogen fills, silly. You'll end up with nitrogen after a few checks of the tire pressure anyway.

If this worked, one could just keep a few old tires inflated in the corner of the shop, wait until they deflated 20% (oxygen is roughly 20% of the volume of air -- let's not go into humid vs. dry...) and then you'd have free nitrogen to put in your other tires! :)

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You give two reasons: The first one is easily debunked, in my humble opinion...

If a tire lets O2 out, but keeps nitrogen in. It's like a sieve. Or a filter.

So, after three or four fills of regular air, it should have a MUCH higher percentage of nitrogen to oxygen, because more oxygen is leaking out than nitrogen.

Which would make paying extra for nitrogen fills, silly. You'll end up with nitrogen after a few checks of the tire pressure anyway.

If this worked, one could just keep a few old tires inflated in the corner of the shop, wait until they deflated 20% (oxygen is roughly 20% of the volume of air -- let's not go into humid vs. dry...) and then you'd have free nitrogen to put in your other tires! :)

+1 I also believe the whole nitrogen thing is a scam. From what I understand, the nitrogen is just a leftover byproduct from liquid oxygen production, and it's only sold to people so they keep comin' back to the shop that sold it to them. Just a marketing scam IMO.

Schwab

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM has a bulletin out stating it's views on using nitrogen to fill tires. #05-03-10-020C: Use of Nitrogen Gas in Tires - (Apr 27, 2010) [This one's in SI under a 2011 Canyon, but it's pretty generic.] In the first paragraph, it says they don't oppose the use of nitrogen in tires, but the expected benefits of tires filled with pure nitrogen would be minimal. Just a little info. ;)

Boostoff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We use Nitrogen in Military Aviation for practically any compressed-gas function. Struts, pressure tank for our starting system, and our tires. Of course the pressure change due to flying and temprature change varies extremely compared to Civilan vehicle street use, but if its good enough amd important enough for a multi million dollar aircraft, I dont see any harm with filling your tires with nitrogen.

Yukon Ron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been using regular old "free" air since I could drive. Holes that are large enough to let even nitrogen molecules out are the only times I have been let down, literally.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using regular old "free" air since I could drive. Holes that are large enough to let even nitrogen molecules out are the only times I have been let down, literally.

I don't know if there's a "Thumbs Up" icon, but damn it Thumbs up!!!!!

mikewayne

Reaction score
thanks for such an informative post about air pressure basically well maintained air pressure is the most important requirement for functioning of any vehicle, but it is something that is least taken care of in number of cases.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nitrogen is really nonsense if you ask me. yes, it is slightly less susceptible to the elements and may permeate through the tire at a slightly less weight. the only benefits i see are either on super cars on the track where temps will get really hot and the nitrogen will be less affected by this, or chrome plated wheels. i see at least one a day that has completely corroded along the bead and causes the tires to go flat. now i can see that being a benefit if it indeed keeps moisture out. but who knows if thats the case.

for the average person, nitrogen is not really needed. just keep it at the proper inflation and you should be good.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
36lbs OK?

I noticed the door sticker says 32 cold. I see its 36 on the the display. Close enough?