Tech2 questions, Stabilitrack/TC issues 08 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldmopars

Reaction score
So, let me start by saying that I started by searching. However, this has lead to more questions than answers.
First off I have a 08 2500 Suburban, 6.0l, 4x4, etc. Last week when returning from the Airport the Stabilitrack and traction control messages came up. This happened right after accelerating onto the hwy. I also got some vibration. It stayed on, so I dropped it into neutral, shut it off and then restarted it. This cleared the issue for about 80 miles, all hwy miles at 70-80 MPH.
The issue returned again close to home, again after accelerating from a light. I did the same and it cleared.
This lead me to here. I searched and it seems the answer could be anything. Everything I read says to buy a Tech2 as this will point me in the right direction.
I headed over to Google to see where to get a Tech2 and now I am more confused than before. The prices are all over the place, all kinds of different options, kits, software, adapters, who knows what else. Chinese??
So, now I have no idea what to get, and no idea how to fix the issue. It also sounds like there is a lot of learning to use one?
Can you fine folks please help me in the right direction?
What Tech2 do I need? What does t need to come with? How do I get the right one and all the right stuff to use on my 2008 Suburban? A link would really help.
If anyone lives near Yakima/Pasco Washington and would be willing to scan my truck, that would also be very helpful. Willing to pay in cash or adult beverages.
Option #2, anyone what to buy a nice 2008 Suburban 2500 4x4? I've kind of lost interest and have a new Subaru coming in the next few weeks.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, let me start by saying that I started by searching. However, this has lead to more questions than answers.
First off I have a 08 2500 Suburban, 6.0l, 4x4, etc. Last week when returning from the Airport the Stabilitrack and traction control messages came up. This happened right after accelerating onto the hwy. I also got some vibration. It stayed on, so I dropped it into neutral, shut it off and then restarted it. This cleared the issue for about 80 miles, all hwy miles at 70-80 MPH.
The issue returned again close to home, again after accelerating from a light. I did the same and it cleared.
This lead me to here. I searched and it seems the answer could be anything. Everything I read says to buy a Tech2 as this will point me in the right direction.
I headed over to Google to see where to get a Tech2 and now I am more confused than before. The prices are all over the place, all kinds of different options, kits, software, adapters, who knows what else. Chinese??
So, now I have no idea what to get, and no idea how to fix the issue. It also sounds like there is a lot of learning to use one?
Can you fine folks please help me in the right direction?
What Tech2 do I need? What does t need to come with? How do I get the right one and all the right stuff to use on my 2008 Suburban? A link would really help.
If anyone lives near Yakima/Pasco Washington and would be willing to scan my truck, that would also be very helpful. Willing to pay in cash or adult beverages.
Option #2, anyone what to buy a nice 2008 Suburban 2500 4x4? I've kind of lost interest and have a new Subaru coming in the next few weeks.
Others can guide you to what options are best for a Tech 2. A Tech2 is a very capable tool, but is not absolutely necessary for many things. I do not own one myself, but have a couple scan tools that lets me see what codes the vehicle may have.

The Stabilitrak/Traction Control can trip for many reasons. One of which is excessive vibration. It may be as simple as a bad spark plug.

Unless you’re just looking for an excuse to justify a new vehicle, the folks here can likely help you walk through the steps of figuring this out.

How many miles on the vehicle? How old are the spark plugs and wires? Any other issues recently?

Did the ABS light come on as well?

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Oldmopars

Reaction score
Others can guide you to what options are best for a Tech 2. A Tech2 is a very capable tool, but is not absolutely necessary for many things. I do not own one myself, but have a couple scan tools that lets me see what codes the vehicle may have.

The Stabilitrak/Traction Control can trip for many reasons. One of which is excessive vibration. It may be as simple as a bad spark plug.

Unless you’re just looking for an excuse to justify a new vehicle, the folks here can likely help you walk through the steps of figuring this out.

How many miles on the vehicle? How old are the spark plugs and wires? Any other issues recently?

Did the ABS light come on as well?
Thank you. As I recall, the ABS light did come on. As for the miles, it just hit 200K and I do not know when the spark plugs were done, I got it 1.5 years ago and it was from a dealer.
I have had an intermittent CEL on. It gave a code for one of the O2 sensors. I replaced all 4, but it still comes and goes.
To tell a little bit more of my situation, I travel for work. I am in Long Beach CA right now, I was in Fairbanks AK 2 weeks ago, I will be somewhere else next week. I am never home during the week. So, I only have the weekends to do everything including work on my cars. My son is driving my 65 Chevy C10 right now, and it needs work too.
I have been driving the Suburban to the Airport and home, but the airport is 106 miles away. The fuel is costing me a fortune. 12 MPG is average. However, I do have 2 travel trailers, one 18-20 ft and a big 30+ ft. I am selling the 30 ft one soon, but still tow the smaller one.
I originally got the Suburban to tow the trailer and camp in, I needed the heavy 2500 to tow the big trailer. The small trailer is 3800#s. I can tow it with a much smaller vehicle.
All that to say, I am getting a new Subaru no matter what, the Suburban will stay for a while unless I find someone that needs it more than me, and I will just get something smaller to tow the small trailer.
The Subaru will be my airport/daily driver/weekend camping/trail car, the Suburban will stay on as the tow rig. No matter if it stays or goes, I still need to fix it as I need it for a while longer.
I will get a set of plugs coming to eliminate that. What plugs do you suggest?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the ABS light is quite possibly the cause of your driveability issue and is indicative of a bad hub, being you are in the pacific northwest there is no rust to speak of unless you live on the beach. Any scan tool that will read ABS will at least point you in the right direction. yes it could be other things but the most common denominator with a ABS light is bad hub.
that doesn't mean run out and buy one, check and verify first what the code says, i.e. left or right sensor then you can swap sensors left and right and see if the code follows or stays the same. you can also jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground and give them a wiggle at 12 & 6 and see if there is any play, you can also check them at 3 & 9 there will be some expected play there from the steering, you can also spin each wheel and listen for any grinding sound or ticking noise, basically with the wheel spinning it should be quiet with no sound or barely any at all.
as far as a tech2 chinacardiags is probably the best source right now, you can get the basic setup or one with a carrying case, unless you want to spend the extra money on a case. i just have mine in a laptop bag and that works for me. learning to use one is pretty straight forward if you can use a smartphone you can use a tech2
this one right here will work perfectly fine, at checkout just choose GM english and then GM tis2000 get free key (you don't need it but just choose it anyway)
the unit is $229, shipping is $74 usually you will have it in your hands in 2 weeks or less, they ship DHL.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ABS light is quite possibly the cause of your driveability issue and is indicative of a bad hub, being you are in the pacific northwest there is no rust to speak of unless you live on the beach. Any scan tool that will read ABS will at least point you in the right direction. yes it could be other things but the most common denominator with a ABS light is bad hub.
that doesn't mean run out and buy one, check and verify first what the code says, i.e. left or right sensor then you can swap sensors left and right and see if the code follows or stays the same. you can also jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground and give them a wiggle at 12 & 6 and see if there is any play, you can also check them at 3 & 9 there will be some expected play there from the steering, you can also spin each wheel and listen for any grinding sound or ticking noise, basically with the wheel spinning it should be quiet with no sound or barely any at all.
as far as a tech2 chinacardiags is probably the best source right now, you can get the basic setup or one with a carrying case, unless you want to spend the extra money on a case. i just have mine in a laptop bag and that works for me. learning to use one is pretty straight forward if you can use a smartphone you can use a tech2
this one right here will work perfectly fine, at checkout just choose GM english and then GM tis2000 get free key (you don't need it but just choose it anyway)
the unit is $229, shipping is $74 usually you will have it in your hands in 2 weeks or less, they ship DHL.
I've been putting it off, but I think I'm going to do buy the one at the link.