Tech 2: No communication message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for the short answer to the "no communication" message I get when working with the Tech 2 and my 06 Tahoe.
Some research shows that several modules have to be tested (via a multi-meter).
Anyone experience this and care to share a shortcut to a solution?
Thanks in advance.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends, for starters if your drivers side cigarette power socket does not have power then the fuse is blown and this same fuse controls communication with the obd port, so if you have power to the drivers side socket and other scanners will communicate then back to the tech2 and be sure you have the correct vin character selected, I found in a note in part of the online manual that my 03 Silverado used a different vin character than my 2012 Yukon, I think it can also depend on what part you are trying to diagnose and how you start the procedure with either the key on or key off.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed; check the OBD port by trying another scanner to see if it can communicate with your vehicle before troubleshooting the Tech 2.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Before finding the blown fuse, the T2 wouldn't come on at all (as you might expect). With the fuse intact, I can access the full range of menus however when trying to retrieve the DTC's, I'm greeted with the "no communication" message as posted above.
Pretty sure I have the VIN right.
Seems to me that my Innova code reader was fully functional on this 06 but my memory of it is unclear. I'll check that again and report back. Similarly, I'll check the Tech 2 up against the currently running 03.

OP
OP
A

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely vehicle related. The Innova code reader and the Tech 2 are unable to establish communication (despite being powered up by the ALDL) in the 06 while both work as expected in the 03.
I'm certain some of this issue relates to the ignition switch and it's on again, off again operation. The electrical issues have become more profound since the switch was replaced. Having sat now for a year hasn't made things any better. It's to the point where it's difficult to know where to begin (again).

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely vehicle related. The Innova code reader and the Tech 2 are unable to establish communication (despite being powered up by the ALDL) in the 06 while both work as expected in the 03.
I'm certain some of this issue relates to the ignition switch and it's on again, off again operation. The electrical issues have become more profound since the switch was replaced. Having sat now for a year hasn't made things any better. It's to the point where it's difficult to know where to begin (again).
Damn that's not good. But at least you know you don't have to fix the Tech 2.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not think you need the Candi module for your 2006. You can either remove it or set to bypass in the main menu of the Tech2. May or may not do anything since the other tool is having mirrored problems with it too.

Hey Mark, your sig photo, isn't the Silvy a reverse image? The shark fin is on the passenger side.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think you need the Candi module for your 2006. You can either remove it or set to bypass in the main menu of the Tech2. May or may not do anything since the other tool is having mirrored problems with it too.

Hey Mark, your sig photo, isn't the Silvy a reverse image? The shark fin is on the passenger side.
I never noticed. Maybe @Sevenevez had something to do with that since he made that sig without me even asking!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes it can also depend on what you are trying to access or test with the tech2. what are you trying to get codes from? some stuff is in unexpected places, and aside from a vin character I think in some places it has a list of alphabetical letters as a secondary choice? I haven't played around with mine too much but it seems to be a trial and error thing without reading a full manual on the darn thing

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes it can also depend on what you are trying to access or test with the tech2. what are you trying to get codes from? some stuff is in unexpected places, and aside from a vin character I think in some places it has a list of alphabetical letters as a secondary choice? I haven't played around with mine too much but it seems to be a trial and error thing without reading a full manual on the darn thing
Also if you don’t have a particular module you’re trying to access. On the menu for my vehicles there’s some modules listed that I don’t have, like a suspension control module on my Silverado that it doesn’t have because that was an option. If I try to access it, I get that same “no communication “ message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts