Tech 2 Knock off suggestion? Hybrid Jump assist compatible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan2200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening,

Question from a new 2008 Hybrid Tahoe owner.

I just acquired a 2008 hybrid Tahoe, took a gamble won it in a Proxibid auction not running.

When I picked it up I saw the hybrid battery pack was taken apart and I’m assuming it needed to have some bad cells replaced. I ended up getting a complete used battery at a junkyard because the one the in unit was half way taken apart and missing the cover and who knows what else.

Installed the new battery and it won’t start, after doing some research on the forum it appears that I need to start with trying to get the vehicle into “Jump assist mode” to charge up the high voltage battery hopefully to get it started.

I bought a couple different “knock off Tech 2 scanners” on Amazon and they don’t support the function to get the APM in jump assist mode.

That being said can someone recommend a knock off unit that will be capable of getting the vehicle into “jump assist mode?

Sorry for the long rant..

Thanks for your advice.

Ryan

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BG1988 @dnt1010 @bbOOmm @rebelbell

I checked my Tech-2 pathing guide and there is no mention of a jump assist mode. I also read through every year Hybrid manual and none of them mention this as a requirement to jump start the car. There's a 300 watt fuse that needs to be checked. How old is the 12V battery and has it been fully charged?

OP
OP
R

Ryan2200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is the info I found that talks about initiating the Jump assist mode.

I’ll definitely look into the 300volt fuse also.
@BG1988 @dnt1010 @bbOOmm @rebelbell

I checked my Tech-2 pathing guide and there is no mention of a jump assist mode. I also read through every year Hybrid manual and none of them mention this as a requirement to jump start the car. There's a 300 watt fuse that needs to be checked. How old is the 12V battery and has it been fully charged?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might get a few ideas here.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised the jump Assist isn't in the knock off tech 2. there was a YouTube comment about it somewhere and I asked if they used a China tech 2 and they said yes.

it's honestly a pretty common function. I have a otc scanner at work that has the option. haven't had to use it thou. I believe just about anything bi- directional should have it?

I don't have a China tech 2 but I've wanted one for the house. I hear the other China cable can flash modules if needed. there's a huge thread somewhere on this site about getting them to work.

beyond that, what I found super helpful for cheap was the 20$ obd2 dongel and the torque app. you gotta add the pids yourself, but they will show you data for the cell voltage, over all pack voltage, Temps and things like that. there's a list one good ones somewhere, not all on Amazon are good.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Tech-2, the Jump Assist Mode may reside in another menu and not the main menus, such as Module Setup or Special Functions. My "knock off" is no different than a 2010 Tech-2.

That bulletin you shared is pretty cool and the instructions it appears have to be followed to a "t" to get everything working right.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe special functions is what it's called on mine. where you go for the automated brake bleeding and stuff like that.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Tech-2, the Jump Assist Mode may reside in another menu and not the main menus, such as Module Setup or Special Functions. My "knock off" is no different than a 2010 Tech-2.

That bulletin you shared is pretty cool and the instructions it appears have to be followed to a "t" to get everything working right.
can you flash modules with your tech 2. I hate calling them knock off too, since I believe they all came from the same factory. or is that only with the MDI?

I'm guessing the tech 2 will read battery and cell voltage even without finding the jump Assist. if you post that up, we might be able to figure out if the battery is even dead enough to need the jump.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you flash modules with your tech 2. I hate calling them knock off too, since I believe they all came from the same factory. or is that only with the MDI?

I'm guessing the tech 2 will read battery and cell voltage even without finding the jump Assist. if you post that up, we might be able to figure out if the battery is even dead enough to need the jump.

Late last year, GM redesigned their website and made it hard for us to program modules with the Tech-2. The workaround comes from TDSs customer service providing access to the old website and using the Tech-2 as a pass-through device as I understand it. I'm going to buy a new laptop and the MDI2 for programming only.

Trouble with the Tech-2 is, I cannot see Hybrid menus without being hooked up to a Hybrid. Sometimes we can trick the Tech2 into thinking we're a Malibu or Impala to access other menus but I have not been able to see the Hybrid without being hooked up to one.

I know a guy locally with one but haven't heard from him in a while, he replaced his Tahoe Hybrid with over 200K with a low mileage Escalade Hybrid. I imagine he's enjoying a trouble free experience with the newer car.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Late last year, GM redesigned their website and made it hard for us to program modules with the Tech-2. The workaround comes from TDSs customer service providing access to the old website and using the Tech-2 as a pass-through device as I understand it. I'm going to buy a new laptop and the MDI2 for programming only.

Trouble with the Tech-2 is, I cannot see Hybrid menus without being hooked up to a Hybrid. Sometimes we can trick the Tech2 into thinking we're a Malibu or Impala to access other menus but I have not been able to see the Hybrid without being hooked up to one.

I know a guy locally with one but haven't heard from him in a while, he replaced his Tahoe Hybrid with over 200K with a low mileage Escalade Hybrid. I imagine he's enjoying a trouble free experience with the newer car.

ahh interesting.

I've been wondering if I can pick up a 2012 and newer radio and flash it to work on my 2011. seems the 2012 got blue tooth and stuff, along with better graphics. mine looks like windows 3.1 lol. i know it atleast needs the vin programed when swapped, I don't know if you can run a newer module year thou. in the long tech 2 thread a guy said he was able to flash updated radio software using the MDI2, sounds like the tech 2 isn't really good for that anymore.

just thinking out loud for stuff to do at some point. it's been ruining perfect since a new hybrid Battery upgrade, so I've kinda moved on to other projects but they are such interesting trucks.