TBSS intake on gen III 4.8 5.3 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So on Tuesday the fuel rail I ordered (12621662) was delivered. It did not work. After deeper research I found the correct fuel rail. If you want to use the fuel injectors (OEM 2002 Tahoe Flex Fuel - my Tahoe) which I do, then this is the wrong fuel rail. The correct fuel rail for my application is 12660709. It was delivered today and I verified the fit with a spare flex fuel injector I had on hand.

Below is the picture of the fuel rail and then the fuel rail on the manifold. The red circle is where the two fuel rails are different. The correct one for my build the keeper for the top part of the injector is a little bit longer to accommodate the OEM flex fuel injectors.

Rail.jpg

Intake and Rail 1.jpg

Last edited:

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completed the TBSS install. Not quite as simple as the multiple you tube posts out there but not that difficult. After install, I needed to reroute some wires and get creative on how I mounted some of the cable brackets on top of the TBSS manifold. I also needed to fix a minor fuel leak but she started right up. Idle was off for about 30-90 seconds but the computer corrected that issue. Disappointed that I was not able to use the Vortec cover, but I haven't given up on that just yet. I can be pretty creative. I still need to record some data for BBP to get the final tune but she runs great. My initial opinion is that I feel that I don't need to step on it as much to get the same result - but when I do really step on it "WOW". Definitely worth the upgrade.Final.jpg

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend the Holley 90mm throttle body. I'm having a significant noise issue with the Holley throttle body. I have what I would describe as a "whistle" when I first start up the Tahoe. When it warms up it goes away to the point I can't hear it from the driver's seat. However, open the hood and you can hear it. It gets more pronounced under slight throttle. But under mid to full throttle - nothing. My first thought was vacuum leak, but i confirmed it was not (plus BBP saw my data and there is no vacuum leak that the data shows. Plus I ran a scan and all is good). I took the cold air intake off - wow you can hear it. It is coming from the IAC ports. Put your finger slightly over the hole and it goes away. Did some research, wished I did it before I bought it, and this seems to be a known issue with this throttle body. So I talked to Jared from Texas Speed and he confirmed that this was an issue with this particular throttle body. I ended up going with his recommendation and buying a FAST throttle body.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i have found many threads on that. I had considered the tbss intake in the past, but for the wife (tahoe) and daughter ( Silverado) neither of them need them really. And last thing i need is one of them saying the engine sounds funny and it be the throttle body lol.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received my FAST throttle body. First thing when opening the shipping box I pulled out a case. My first thought was they shipped the wrong product. But then I realized the TB was shipped in this case. The other obvious thing when opening the case was the quality of this TB. I was so much superior to the Holley TB. This thing was obviously built with quality. After looking it over, I was pretty confident tis was would not give me the same problems. The IAS port was much much bigger. Installed it and started up the Tahoe and no whistle or unwanted noise whatsoever. I do have one problem, not unexpected, is how to mount it to my cold air intake system. It is 92mm vice the 90mm and that causes me some fitment issues that I will overcome.
Container.jpgIn Case.jpgPackage Opened.jpgInstalled.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC