Tbi to Hmi conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, HP Tuners has a “repository” of tunes, hot cam and L31 is a common one and should get you in the right ballpark. These are free with registration. HPTuners community is not big on the Vortecs, more of an LS crowd though.
That said, I believe BlackBear uses EFILive and can mail you tunes based on logging you send to them. If you don’t have a tune shop around I’d go the black bear route personally.
I inherited an HP Tuner setup with 1 license left and it’***** or miss. Crank relearn function just crashes the software and resets my radio for instance but the diagnostics and real time data are amazingly helpful at times.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
besides getting a tune everything you can do with a carb setup you can do the same exact thing with your current setup. only real difference is with a carb setup once you have it dialed in you never touch it. with tuning you can have varying levels of power and drivability with the push of a button if you wanted. unless something is broken on the truck pushing this decision i highly suggest keeping the stock setup and working from there. plenty of information here and if you can't find the information ask someone will answer. also do a forum search for blackbear they are the go to source for tuning here. i also haven't used them but with as many people here that actually recommend them they have to be doing something right.

OP
OP
U

Ultimatefit23

Reaction score
Nothing is broken. I pulled the engine to do a complete rebuild and get body work and paint done to my 99 yukon. I more then likely will stjck with the tbi wss just kicking the ball around about the swap. As for Blackbear, I'm definitely going to do some research about them. Off the top of your do you know anything about their prices.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing is broken. I pulled the engine to do a complete rebuild and get body work and paint done to my 99 yukon. I more then likely will stjck with the tbi wss just kicking the ball around about the swap. As for Blackbear, I'm definitely going to do some research about them. Off the top of your do you know anything about their prices.
not off hand no but ive never had a problem surfing thier website. they are a registered vendor here and their website comes up pretty quick with a Google search blackbear performance. also noticed you used the abv tbi there so just making sure its not a typo. first was the carburetor then chevy moved to a tbi unit which stopped in the tahoes in 95 i believe. 96 on had a tb but had mpfi injectors are hidden under the upper intake. big dependability increase along with more power.

OP
OP
U

Ultimatefit23

Reaction score
not off hand no but ive never had a problem surfing thier website. they are a registered vendor here and their website comes up pretty quick with a Google search blackbear performance. also noticed you used the abv tbi there so just making sure its not a typo. first was the carburetor then chevy moved to a tbi unit which stopped in the tahoes in 95 i believe. 96 on had a tb but had mpfi injectors are hidden under the upper intake. big dependability increase along with more power.
It was a typo, I have the spider injectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts