Tbi to Hmi conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Utimate fit- I like your Idea. That is one of my preferences- carbed vortecs. It's an easy Swap if you are OK with carb work. Only place to be careful is timing chain/cover parts selection for clearance and seal.You will gain about 2 mpg and longer lasting plugs if you use a Quadrajet. And if you are looking for a little more, use a Big block Qjet. Tuning it is a little tougher to get perfect. If you have a cheap parts source nearby, get 2 identical qjets, (layout not part number)build a carb stand (4 bolts in a plate), mark carbs A&B . Then jet swaps and tuning really fast. Just keep track of changes in a notebook. And you need a good vacuum gage.I think properly tuned they are better than injected, other than plugs not lasting as long.

OP
OP
U

Ultimatefit23

Reaction score
Utimate fit- I like your Idea. That is one of my preferences- carbed vortecs. It's an easy Swap if you are OK with carb work. Only place to be careful is timing chain/cover parts selection for clearance and seal.You will gain about 2 mpg and longer lasting plugs if you use a Quadrajet. And if you are looking for a little more, use a Big block Qjet. Tuning it is a little tougher to get perfect. If you have a cheap parts source nearby, get 2 identical qjets, (layout not part number)build a carb stand (4 bolts in a plate), mark carbs A&B . Then jet swaps and tuning really fast. Just keep track of changes in a notebook. And you need a good vacuum gage.I think properly tuned they are better than injected, other than plugs not lasting as long.
Yea I like the carb setup as well but thus time I think I'm going to keep ot fuel injected. And "try" my hand at learning to tune. This forum seems to have alot of genuine people that seems willing to help out when asked. But if all else fails... Holly here I come.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell if you dead set on it split it 50 50 toss a nice edelbrock intake on there and get one of those efi live carb tbi units. ive seen some dyno pulls from some of them making killer numbers. i think the bigger ones are rated in the 1000hp range.

OP
OP
U

Ultimatefit23

Reaction score
hell if you dead set on it split it 50 50 toss a nice edelbrock intake on there and get one of those efi live carb tbi units. ive seen some dyno pulls from some of them making killer numbers. i think the bigger ones are rated in the 1000hp range.
Not exactly dead set yet. Just weighing all the options and seeing what you guys here think and see which way the wind blows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505