Take Steering message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coder

Reaction score
My 17 has done it when I take my hands off the steering wheel, not related to lane keep as far as I know. I drive with one hand and never pops up, just once or twice when reaching for something.

OP
OP
YukonCpt

YukonCpt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was able to get it tonight with both hands off wheel and drifting. Wife says she gets it with one hand on wheel.

OP
OP
YukonCpt

YukonCpt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems to be inconsistent as to what sets it off but here is a pic.

IMG_0222.JPG

Mwbutcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL I think 35 mph is as slow as you can go with lane assist active. I had mine activate yesterday while driving with my knee, eating a cheeseburger and got to close to the center line it politely asked me to take the wheel......but, don't ya just love the 8" information display!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

coder

Reaction score
Was able to get it tonight with both hands off wheel and drifting. Wife says she gets it with one hand on wheel.

My wife told me it happens to her as well. Starting to wonder what the vehicle detects, is it resistance on the steering wheel?

efriday

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2017 Tahoe - From observation, the "Take Steering" message appears whenever there is NO detectable motion in the steering wheel. Does not appear to be related to the placement of hands. Accelerometers in the wheel can detect even tiny motions, and will silence the message.

Just for fun, allow the Lane Keep Assist function to drive for a bit - notice that the steering control system soon diverges and lane excursions become too large to be safe. GM could adjust this, but people might freak out when they feel firm automatic corrections to the steering.

Cohlmeyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine does this when a car pulls out into the next lane, sort of a warning that the other car may make an unexpected move. Be prepared

my09denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only noticed this when driving on long straight aways where no steering is needed and I haven't steered at all. Doesn't matter if I have 1 or 2 hands on the wheel. I think it only happens when it hasn't detected any steering wheel movement for a lenght of time. I've never had it come on with the lane departure warning.

4MRAV8R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine comes on occasionally , seems like on long straight roads where I make minimul corrections. I think it thinks I fell asleep lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts