Take Steering message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonCpt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did not find anything through a thread search and did not see anything in the owners manual.
On the instrument panel between the tach and speedometer we get a message that is yellowish orange and says "Take Steering" with an audio tone. My wife has told me she gets it but I have never been able to reproduce it. Today while she was driving she got it again. She thinks it means put 2 hands on the steering wheel because it happens when she only has one hand on at the top. She tried to recreate it but could not. Any ideas?
Also shows picture of steering wheel with hands at 10 and 2 with the message.
Thanks,
Y. Limor
17 Yukon Denali

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not find anything through a thread search and did not see anything in the owners manual.
On the instrument panel between the tach and speedometer we get a message that is yellowish orange and says "Take Steering" with an audio tone. My wife has told me she gets it but I have never been able to reproduce it. Today while she was driving she got it again. She thinks it means put 2 hands on the steering wheel because it happens when she only has one hand on at the top. She tried to recreate it but could not. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Y. Limor
17 Yukon Denali
It's part of the lane keep assist function of the safety package. If the car senses that you are drifting or not actively steering the car, it will activate the message.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I have a 16 with LA and have never seen that. Wonder if it's new for 17?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
YukonCpt

YukonCpt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get the Lane assist that turns green to amber many times without the Take Steering Message. Yes it does push you back into the lane. But when it pushes me back it does not give the Take Steering message. I will try to recreate it now that I have a bit more info. Thanks

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer told me that the package was modified for 17.

Does yours push you back into the lane?

Yes, it pushes you back into the lane and I think it does turn amber if you get too close to the lines. Will have to check..

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Have a new 2017 and does the same. Keeps you in the lane and alerts if you are not correcting...

baddfed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On a open road test I get the "Take Steering" message if I let it push me back in the lane the second time without taking the wheel.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
Y. Limor
17 Yukon Denali

It's funny that they show the hands at 10 & 2 like how us older ones were taught. Now they teach the new drivers 9 & 3 because of air bags. Both times I took skid driving classes we were taught 10 & 3 since you have better control of the steering. I've been using that method the last 30 years

CruiseGuy24

Reaction score
I get this message, usually when I have just one hand on the wheel. It does not seem to be consistent and does not happen when drifting or being corrected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne