Tail Light..Broken Plastic Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelly Steeves

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Day... The clear plastic outer cover of my tail light was broken by a baseball...<no damage to the lights or bulbs.. Can I repair this or do I need to replace entire unit...Thanks in advance..

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I’ve never looked for just a cover. If you can find it you can adhere it. Might be a heck of a lot easier just to buy an entire new light though.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends upon where you live and that associated state's DMV laws. Here in NH, any cracked lens has to be replaced, period, or you fail the annual inspection. My 2015 Honda Fit had 2 cracked fog light lens from road debris, and I had to replace the entire light assemblies, because component parts were not sold. I argued that fog lights were not required by law, and they were actually a non-mandated upgrade 'accessory' on that model, and I was told to replace them anyway, or fail the inspection.

Reaction score
It depends upon where you live and that associated state's DMV laws. Here in NH, any cracked lens has to be replaced, period, or you fail the annual inspection. My 2015 Honda Fit had 2 cracked fog light lens from road debris, and I had to replace the entire light assemblies, because component parts were not sold. I argued that fog lights were not required by law, and they were actually a non-mandated upgrade 'accessory' on that model, and I was told to replace them anyway, or fail the inspection.
F that! Just remove them, go get inspected, then put them back. They remove quite easily.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
F that! Just remove them, go get inspected, then put them back. They remove quite easily.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can certainly do that.

If I'm going to go to the trouble to remove them, and true that it's not at all hard to do, then I'll simply replace them with legal ones. Here, if you are stopped by police, they routinely walk around your vehicle and look for stuff like this, and then they give you a ticket for it. I like to pick and choose where I'm legal, or not legal.

Also, I applied a protective film on the lenses of the new ones that virtually eliminate future cracking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan