Tail Gater Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeneralNoobzor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All credit goes to: oakrdrs187 - Thanks for the help bud!

This is honestly, the second easiest mod I have done.

Related links:http://tinyurl.com/4xtbp8q

Required Materials: Phillips screw driver, Two prong switch (NOT THREE) and about enough wire, two female terminals, two tap splices, pliers.

Start at your left rear reverse light, take out the two screws on the side and pull it out. This is what you will see.
2j1opa9.jpg
The green wire is for the back up lights, get about 25-30ft of wire and tap into it with a tap splice. (I recommend 16awg)

Above the left left year tail light is a the flare. It does not have to be removed.
On the other side of the flair is the d column. 1zq7jo0.jpg Remove the column (just pull it off, don't break any clips!)
Shine a flashlight after you remove it, go look where the tail light is, look up behind the flare and you will see light, feed the wire through there.

Now bring enough wire to get to the dash and put your switch in.
(Two prong switch) (**NOT A THREE PRONG**) Will ground out and blow fuses!)

Connect that to the ACC part on the switch.

Now get the power. I connected my power to my amplifier, but wherever you have power, it can be connected to. But be careful where you put it! ( REMEMBER TO FUSE IT! (I have a 4.5a fuse)
2uf351t.jpg

Now bring that wire up to the switch and put it on the (12v)

When you are done it should look similar to this.

2m4x24m.jpg
(The black is my ACC (Tail Light) the Red is my 12v (Power)

When you flick the switch on the reverse lights will turn on.
nz2hir.jpg

Now let's say you don't want to put that much wire in to the reverse light. That's fine, you can tap into the wire in the dash. It goes to your onstar system and tells the vehicle when it is in reverse. To get to that open up the fuse box on the side of your steering wheel under the A-Column.

Find the wire harness with the foam wrapped around, rip the tape open.
2ic88bo.jpg

The wire you are looking for is olive green.
10xvp04.jpg

Just to make sure it is the right wire, get a test light, poke the point side into the olive green wire and connect the other side to a ground, now when you switch into reverse the light on the test lead should turn on, and when you switch out, it should turn off. You can tap into this wire for the ACC on the switch instead of running to the back. ENJOY!

I am not responsible for any damage any of you do to your vehicles! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeneralNoobzor

GeneralNoobzor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahaha it's even shinier right now. I don't remember doing this, but I cleaned up my fuse box alot...

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
And if you really want to back your tailgater off you can install a bigger light, like this bastard:
C30C2277-6CF3-4FAB-8AB2-6805C23A36C6-5996-000006BFFC9D0051_zps322ec5db.jpg

Do be careful who you flash though, cops do tend to tailgate as well... And a tailgater floodlight is sure to get you pulled over in most places...

Shrek

Reaction score
And if you really want to back your tailgater off you can install a bigger light, like this bastard:
C30C2277-6CF3-4FAB-8AB2-6805C23A36C6-5996-000006BFFC9D0051_zps322ec5db.jpg

Do be careful who you flash though, cops do tend to tailgate as well... And a tailgater floodlight is sure to get you pulled over in most places...

I have 2 of those on the backrack on my silverado. They have been used.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn