Tahoe won't restart after getting gas - Not the usual issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my lifetime I once got gas loaded with water. Almost immediate "flame out".
I learned to only go to very busy stations to avoid that headache again.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my lifetime I once got gas loaded with water. Almost immediate "flame out".
I learned to only go to very busy stations to avoid that headache again.
Very interesting. A real possibility. Even though, the fuel pump sits in a tub, condensate water in the tank will settle out side the tub and stay there until the water volume raises the level to near the top rim of the tub, driving can also slosh water over into the tub, every time the fuel pump starts any water inside the tub will be pumped out first, after the water in the tub is pumped out, then the pump supplies gasoline until the next event. I am exposed to several vehicles that are rarely operated and have water in the tank every time the vehicle is needed. These are older vehicles with carburetors. The only solution that works these Chevys is to disconnect the fuel line to the carb and direct the flow from pump to a container. Install a douch bag to run the engine. Every time the engine is started a 1/4 cup of water is pumped first. Stop engine wait 2 minutes repeat and another 1/4 cup water is pumped out. repeat til no water is pumped.
Not sure how this applies to the OP thread, but may be so.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. A real possibility. Even though, the fuel pump sits in a tub, condensate water in the tank will settle out side the tub and stay there until the water volume raises the level to near the top rim of the tub, driving can also slosh water over into the tub, every time the fuel pump starts any water inside the tub will be pumped out first, after the water in the tub is pumped out, then the pump supplies gasoline until the next event. I am exposed to several vehicles that are rarely operated and have water in the tank every time the vehicle is needed. These are older vehicles with carburetors. The only solution that works these Chevys is to disconnect the fuel line to the carb and direct the flow from pump to a container. Install a douch bag to run the engine. Every time the engine is started a 1/4 cup of water is pumped first. Stop engine wait 2 minutes repeat and another 1/4 cup water is pumped out. repeat til no water is pumped.
If water is the issue, wouldn't a bottle (or two) of dry-gas in the tank work to dissipate the water enough to fire things up?

OP
OP
O

OffRoadN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sure how it applies to my thread. Answer: It doesn't! LOL. :)

If it were water in my tank, then I would be having issues every time the vehicle sat for a bit and was restarted. Furthermore, if there was a large amount of water it wouldn't start, or run.

This vehicle is used often and regularly gets down to less than a 1/4 tank before being refilled with a fresh batch (in other words, fresh gas is continuously being added and cycled).

Again, it's not a one time problem, it happens EVERY time I add at least a few gallons of fuel, and ONLY then. Meaning, after I refuel (and get it started) the problem is 100% gone until the next time I get gas.

As I see it, the only thing that it can be is the mixture (with the purge valve connected and operable) is too rich for the engine just after fueling. What is causing this to be the case is what I can't figure out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OffRoadN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Injector balance test. Inspect charcoal canister for liquid gas. Document long- and short-term fuel trims.
Yes, yes, I'm on it. For the 1st and 3rd I need to get my Tech2 back and that's going to take a bit of time. However, the canister inspection can be done as soon as time permits.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes, I'm on it. For the 1st and 3rd I need to get my Tech2 back and that's going to take a bit of time. However, the canister inspection can be done as soon as time permits.
i read a paragraph that stated the pcv valve could remain open while engine was stopped, and allow vapors into the intake and could result in hard starting.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i read a paragraph that stated the pcv valve could remain open while engine was stopped, and allow vapors into the intake and could result in hard starting.

Probably not on this particular truck. The PCV "valve" is integrated into the driver's side rocker arm cover and is not your father's PCV valve.

OP
OP
O

OffRoadN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Probably not on this particular truck. The PCV "valve" is integrated into the driver's side rocker arm cover and is not your father's PCV valve.
Also to consider is that if it were the PCV valve, and if it was connected at the plenum, then it seems like it would provide these vapors to the intake when starting at times other than just after refueling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17