Tahoe Transmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeZ78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We just experienced the dreaded 6L80 transmission failure in our 2016 Tahoe. It started the typical shudder and gear slippage at just under 125k miles. I took it to our local Chevy dealership, they dropped the pan and found tons of metal shavings on the bottom. The service advisor quoted me $5900 for a new transmission, but it would take about a month for them to get one. I guess that is due to the UAW strike. Now my wife is without her vehicle for a month. We do not have an aftermarket warranty and we won't be able to afford a rental for a month. Also, this dealership does not have a loaner program. I don't like how Chevy acts like it no big deal that all of their transmissions are failing. The service advisor told me that they currently have two 2023 Tahoes waiting on backordered torque converters. So apparently lessons were not learned from previous years/models. I know a lot of people on this forum have delt with this issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Here’s some advice forget the dealership and forget another stock transmission that will probably have the same issues! If you have to replace it you ought as well “upgrade” where it is available like a billet converter or beefed up internals!
Check out circle d or rpm transmission.
I don’t know if rpm builds 6l80s but you can call and see

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We just experienced the dreaded 6L80 transmission failure in our 2016 Tahoe. It started the typical shudder and gear slippage at just under 125k miles. I took it to our local Chevy dealership, they dropped the pan and found tons of metal shavings on the bottom. The service advisor quoted me $5900 for a new transmission, but it would take about a month for them to get one. I guess that is due to the UAW strike. Now my wife is without her vehicle for a month. We do not have an aftermarket warranty and we won't be able to afford a rental for a month. Also, this dealership does not have a loaner program. I don't like how Chevy acts like it no big deal that all of their transmissions are failing. The service advisor told me that they currently have two 2023 Tahoes waiting on backordered torque converters. So apparently lessons were not learned from previous years/models. I know a lot of people on this forum have delt with this issue. Any advice would be appreciated.
Find a competent transmission builder in your area and have him go through it. There's a ton of things that need to be attended to (see my 6L80 Info thread for details, link is in my signature) so make sure to ask for details about what will be done and what will be installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20