Tahoe saved our lives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Comes with experiance I guess.
I still remember being 16 on my motorcycle, a bee or wasp flew into my open helmet visor.
Got stung several times before I safely pulled over, kick stand down, gloves off.
and ripped that helmet off and gave it a good toss into the weeds as I proceeded to kill the fkn bug!!

I'm slightly illergic to wasps and stuff too, so it was not a plesant night. :jester:

My cousin roller her little truck after a bee flew in an open window.
Off the road she went into the weeds.
A few bruises and stuff, but she was ok.

Glad you all made it out mostly unscathed!
Hopefully this serves as a lesson to your kid and he learns the hard way to focus on the main task and deal with the anoyance after he pulls over. :boxing:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that will buff out..
Last four hundred mile stretch of an almost 4k mile road trip. My son, 16 and no license yet, just permit, was driving. It was a good stretch for him to get an hour or so in of night freeway driving. I'm in the passenger seat, my girls, 18 and 13, in the back. All had seatbelts on. Little traffic and nice, wide section of I-84 west of Ontario, OR. (OR/ID border) He started getting harassed by a mosquito and took his eyes off the road for a second, went on to the left side shoulder, ran over a flexible guide post, then swerved hard back into the lane. Way too hard - he started going into a series of over-corrections and then we eventually went over. Rolled at least three times, maybe four or five. All a blur to me. I'll always wonder if I could have grabbed the wheel and got things settled down, but I think it was all over after his initial hard swerve.

WE ALL WALKED AWAY. No serious injuries, just cuts, scrapes and bruises. We all got a ride in an ambulance to the hospital in Ontario, with full workups there. All got discharged a couple hours later. I'll probably end up doing some PT or maybe chiropractor, as I'm having some upper back pain. Kids have no apparent issues. Crashed in a hotel for a few hours, my wife and a niece drove the 400 miles to come get us in the minivan. We had to rent a u-haul trailer to haul all our gear, plus all the tools and related, etc. that I had in the rig.

I'll most likely be shopping for another NNBS Tahoe or possibly Suburban very soon. I know other vehicles we probably would have fared OK, too, but that's just the way I am. I really liked my LS - liked the bench seat in front, simple but very effective HVAC system, cloth seats, no DVD players, etc. But you don't see many LS, mostly LT. And I liked my color too. So I'll either have to be patient or settle for something.
Yeah one of the reason why I drive my SUV to work instead of my corolla.... yeah less mpg on the Tahoe but... i'm doing 90-91 miles aday on it.. 4 days aweek

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can now upgrade to a long body Suburban with more space for stuff.

I've thought about it, but probably going to stick with the T-hoe! Fits in the shop/garage and other places better. Had a burb before and I don't miss it too often. My kids are getting older (oldest is off to college in a week) so our days of needing a burb for the epic road trip are numbered. Plus my wife has a minivan.

However..... in browsing CL I did come across a NNBS K2500 burb that is mighty intriguing! Don't see too many of those

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about it, but probably going to stick with the T-hoe! Fits in the shop/garage and other places better. Had a burb before and I don't miss it too often. My kids are getting older (oldest is off to college in a week) so our days of needing a burb for the epic road trip are numbered. Plus my wife has a minivan.

However..... in browsing CL I did come across a NNBS K2500 burb that is mighty intriguing! Don't see too many of those

Talking about epic road trips, we did have many when the kids were young. Probably hit 36 or 38 states in total..... My kids are now 25, 22 and 22 (twins). Two are out of college and working full-time jobs, the third will be graduating in May with dual degrees.

They actually came to us wanting to do another ERT next year. Our last one was 2017. College/summer jobs/lockdowns got in the way recently.

We've gotten rid of the trailer, so we'll rent one, and we're gonna head to Yellowstone and Colorado for 2-3 weeks next summer. Already made the reservation at Fishing Bridge RV park in Yellowstone. I'm stoked.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about epic road trips, we did have many when the kids were young. Probably hit 36 or 38 states in total..... My kids are now 25, 22 and 22 (twins). Two are out of college and working full-time jobs, the third will be graduating in May with dual degrees.

They actually came to us wanting to do another ERT next year. Our last one was 2017. College/summer jobs/lockdowns got in the way recently.

We've gotten rid of the trailer, so we'll rent one, and we're gonna head to Yellowstone and Colorado for 2-3 weeks next summer. Already made the reservation at Fishing Bridge RV park in Yellowstone. I'm stoked.
If I may offer another suggestion as well, Colter Bay campground is incredible. Mainly because it has direct access to Jackson Lake, which is absolutely glorious.

IMG_0384.jpeg

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I may offer another suggestion as well, Colter Bay campground is incredible. Mainly because it has direct access to Jackson Lake, which is absolutely glorious.

View attachment 408026

We've stayed at Colter Bay campground before on a previous trip to Yellowstone/Teton. This upcoming trip we're just focusing on Yellowstone, and Fishing Bridge inside the park is the best location to minimize driving/miles to all of the features. Staying there for a week.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at Colter Bay campground before on a previous trip to Yellowstone/Teton. This upcoming trip we're just focusing on Yellowstone, and Fishing Bridge inside the park is the best location to minimize driving/miles to all of the features. Staying there for a week.
For sure. We only stayed at Colter Bay for a couple of nights on our way to Yellowstone. It’s a magical place for us.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL - we stayed at Colter Bay CG on this exact trip! I drove solo from home (Vancouver, WA) to Minneapolis where I met up with my wife and kids. Wife flew home, kids and I road tripped home

Outbound (solo)
Day 1: Vancouver, WA to Spokane, WA. (short day, a few side trips along the way. I grew up in Yakima, WA and went to school in Spokane)
Day 2: Spokane to Forsyth, MT
Day 3: Forsyth to Fergus Falls, MN (stopped at Theodore Roosevelt NP, Medora ND)
Day 4: Fergus Falls to Minneapolis (hung out in the city with the kids rest of the day. Saw "the mall")
Return (with kids)
Day 5: Minneapolis to Badlands NP, camped there
Day 6: Badlands to Mt. Rushmore KOA. Stopped at Wall Drug on the way for lunch.
Day 7: Mt Rushmore to Grand Teton NP, Colter Bay CG
Day 8: Grand Teton to Twin Falls, ID
Day 9: Twin Falls to Meridian ID for water park fun, then..... plan was to go all the way back to Vancouver, arriving home around 2 am. Made it 10 miles past Ontario OR where accident occurred.
Day 10: Ontario to Vancouver, WA, in the minivan with wife and a niece that came along to help with driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts