Tahoe limited & Tahoe PPV question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading an artical on Wikipedia about the 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe Limited.I already know that it shares much with the Police "Z56" package Tahoe's.Kinda like the '94-'96 Chevrolet Impala SS shares alot with the 9C1 Caprice.

Well what i found interesting is that they said that the Tahoe Limited's 5.7L Vortec V8 was "tweaked to achieve 130+ mph".As far as i knew all the motors are the same including the hp and tq numbers,both for police,limited,and civi tahoe's.What could have been tweaked on the motor to give it any added top end punch?

Im thinking they may have miss worded or not fully understood what GM did to the Limited and Z56 package Tahoes to help it get to high speed and not fail,esp at prolonged high speed running.

As far as i know or my best guess as to what GM did for both Limited and Z56 Tahoe's to give more performance and a higher speed rating is...

Advanced PCM programming...higher shift points,firmer shifts,and slightly advanced timing.(not sure what else could have been done to the PCM to help give the motor more punch)

G80 Posi rear w/ 3.08 gears...The more shallow gears would help the motor turn less RPM's at higher speeds.

After coolers...helps keep temps down when at high speed for a prolonged time.

2WD...less moving parts and less weight.

2" suspension drop...lowers center of gravity,better for high speed cornering and maneuvering.

Best of my knowledge,the last Police vehicle to have a "special" motor was the 1993 Chevrolet 9C1 Caprice.Its LO5 TBI 350 was givin roller rockers,roller cam,and bigger fuel injecters (65mm).

I know most of you could care less...i was just kinda curious when Wiki said that the motor was "tweaked".

Wikipedia artical,you'll have to scroll down some...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Tahoe

OP
OP
Danny_Z56

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no 100 speed limiter on the computer?
Well i can tell you that my Tahoe is speed limited to 129mph,(factory spec for a 1999 Z56 Tahoe).This is soley for safety reasons and the fact its a large SUV.

Years ago when i was a teen,i rode in the back of an in service '99 Z56 Sheriff's Tahoe.One thing that stood out to me was that it handled like it was on rails...I was like "WTF"?? I mean i felt NO body lean/roll at all,even with the sheriff going 85+mph.....Being a teenager,the only thing that came to mind was that GM must have put a Corvette suspention in it or something lol.Their is no way a large SUV should handle that good....

I can tell you this...my tahoe is faster than my wifes '95 Mustang GT...Her Mustang handels better but i can out gun it any time.Bear in mind that her Mustang IS modded.Nothing major but it is modded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Danny_Z56

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sucks dick!
Yeah i thought that even the civi Tahoe's could atleast go 108-113 till their speed limiter kicked in.

Whats the fastest you guys got your Tahoe's,Yukon's,ect... to go? The fastest i ever had my Tahoe was 117mph.Thats only cuz i was passing 4 cars and one tractor trailer in a row.I did not really mean to go that fast,but this Tahoe just goes when you put the hammer down.

Last edited:

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys mean by downshifted. Too me, downshift is when it drops a gear and revs up to go faster. Mine does not do that!

I ran mine before the BBTune to 160kph (100mph), and then it shut off(coasted) until it went back down to 150kph. Only then did it come back on and go back up to 160kph. It kind of cycles from 150 to 160.

After the BBtune, I havn't tried it yet, but I will. :) However my tires are only rated for 180kph, so I'm a little nervous about blowouts at that kind of speed. Although I once ran a 98 mustang convertable up to its speed limiter of 200kph. That was fun!

Last edited:

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Fuel shut-off occurs at 98mph in factory form - resumes at 95mph.... and yes, I've done it. Freaked me out at first.

I've since modded the computer and can no longer tell exactly what the top-end is. I know it is faster than the 100mph speedo that I have.

I've also modified my suspension...front/rear sway bars and upgraded shocks and am rolling slightly lower profile tires - minimal body roll is the result.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
98 at approx. 3000rpm. shes got a hell of a lot more in her, but in current form thats fast enough... haha limiter is a ***** though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645