Tahoe Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Based off what you say did you get any of the normal bad bearing noise that happens when driving and rock steering wheel from 10 to 2.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiggling at 9 and 3 could be steering linkage as well. If it wiggles the same at 12 and 6, then it's most likely a bearing

Wiggling at 9 and 3 could be steering linkage as well. If it wiggles the same at 12 and 6, then it's most likely a bearing
I pryed on everything, didnt feel any play in any ball joints, tie rods, idler or pitman arms. Only the click from the bearing or cv axle.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your sway bar links appear to need replacement soon; I'd recommend replacing those and the sway bar bushings on the frame before you tear into anything else.
Yeah they definitely do, but I dont think those are the cause of the clunk. I've had multiple vehicles that needed the links and they sounded different and the clunk usually only happened over bumps, whereas the Tahoe happens anytime

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based off what you say did you get any of the normal bad bearing noise that happens when driving and rock steering wheel from 10 to 2.
I guess you could say it sounds a little bit like gravel or something rocking around in the bearing like someone else mentioned, but I dont notice it in any one specific condition. it seems to just happen all the time. I may try to get a video of the noise drivingm

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing is driving it in the rain today, I didnt really hear it at all, its more when its dry out, interesting.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You did not hear it over the noise from driving on a wet road. Sounds like a bearing/hub problem.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright y'all here's an update, back to the drawing board! I wiggled the tire on the other side and heard a slight similar clicking sound.