Switching to Z71 rear suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff53

Reaction score
A few months ago, I purchased a 2002 Yukon XL with 198,000 miles and the Premium Smooth Ride suspension. I've been replacing things on it that are worn a little at a time. The rear suspension seems to wallow a bit to me. The rear shocks are Nivomats and I'm guessing that they are originals. I may do some towing in the future. I'm not a huge fan of a marshmallow ride and like a little road feel in my vehicles but I also don't want it to ride like a buckboard either. My question is mostly for those of you that switched to the Z71 rear springs/shocks from the Nivomats. Are you happy with your decision or, if you had to do it over again, would you just bite the bullet and buy the expensive Nivomats? Thanks.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think @Tonyrodz did so.

I've got 18 year, 169k Nivomats that are still doing their job for heavy loads in the back, but haven't towed in almost a decade. Have considered the spring/shock swap but not sure I want the increased height that comes along with it.

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
I went from an 07 Tahoe LS to an 11 Z71 Tahoe. The stock height Z71 is only about 1.5 taller, and to me it makes the truck look better than an oversized station wagon.

The previous owner did a level lift on the 11 so it probably sits 2.5-3 inches taller than a non Z71 stock Tahoe.

I recently spent the money at the recommendations of several members here and put on Hellwig front and rear sway bars. Huge difference!!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I think @Tonyrodz did so.

I've got 18 year, 169k Nivomats that are still doing their job for heavy loads in the back, but haven't towed in almost a decade. Have considered the spring/shock swap but not sure I want the increased height that comes along with it.
Sort of. Got rid of my rear Nivomats and softer stock springs on my 03 LS for lowering springs and Bilstein 4600s. If the Nivomats are replaced the rear springs DEFINITELY need to be replaced too.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I purchased a 2002 Yukon XL with 198,000 miles and the Premium Smooth Ride suspension. I've been replacing things on it that are worn a little at a time. The rear suspension seems to wallow a bit to me. The rear shocks are Nivomats and I'm guessing that they are originals. I may do some towing in the future. I'm not a huge fan of a marshmallow ride and like a little road feel in my vehicles but I also don't want it to ride like a buckboard either. My question is mostly for those of you that switched to the Z71 rear springs/shocks from the Nivomats. Are you happy with your decision or, if you had to do it over again, would you just bite the bullet and buy the expensive Nivomats? Thanks.
The Z71 uses the same springs from the ZW7 without the Nivomats so you could run the ACDelco shocks with the HD springs for a nicer on road ride.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Z71 uses the same springs from the ZW7 without the Nivomats so you could run the ACDelco shocks with the HD springs for a nicer on road ride.

Make this clearer for me, since I am a simple man (at least that's how I identify). Are you saying that the springs from the later (2007+) SUVs that have the Premium Smooth Ride (ZW7) designation, but don't come with OE Nivomats, are the same as any Z71 springs for 2000-2007+?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make this clearer for me, since I am a simple man (at least that's how I identify). Are you saying that the springs from the later (2007+) SUVs that have the Premium Smooth Ride (ZW7) designation, but don't come with OE Nivomats, are the same as any Z71 springs for 2000-2007+?
More or less yes. The Moog 81069 are used for the short trucks, the long ones, Z71s and ZW7s without self-leveling. I think they run them on the K2s as well.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make this clearer for me, since I am a simple man (at least that's how I identify).
Are you saying that the springs from the later (2007+) SUVs that have the Premium Smooth Ride (ZW7) designation, but don't come with OE Nivomats, are the same as any Z71 springs for 2000-2007+?
More or less yes.
The Moog 81069 are used for the short trucks, the long ones, Z71s and ZW7s without self-leveling.
I think they run them on the K2s as well.
Would the RPO for those rear coil springs be YD6?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the RPO for those rear coil springs be YD6?
YD6 I think is a spring position, not a specific spring as my Sierra pickups have the same RPO codes as the Yukon XL.
A bit disappointing.
Was hoping that RPO codes would help discern / decode what springs I have (like with my previous Caprices), so I could more precisely determine the specs for their eventual replacements.