Switchback turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutchman

Reaction score
I've been looking at some of the build threads and discovered switchback leds. There are several builds that say they've installed switchbacks, but I can't find a how to anywhere. I'd like to set it up so that both the bottom lights function as a DRL and a turn signal. It seems to me that you'd need to change some wiring to get this to work, but again, I can't find a how to for it. I'm probably just missing it.

OP
OP
Dutchman

Dutchman

Reaction score
So, as you might have suspected, I kept digging and reading and found the answer to my question. I live the idea, so I’m definitely planning on doing this mod.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, as you might have suspected, I kept digging and reading and found the answer to my question. I live the idea, so I’m definitely planning on doing this mod.
Care to share a link to make it easier folks that follow you?

OP
OP
Dutchman

Dutchman

Reaction score
I didn't find a thread with a how-to for installing switchbacks. I just figured out what they are and how they work.

In short, they're 2 color LEDs, white and amber being the most common. There's a ground lead and a positive lead for each color, so 3 total.

So, let's say I wanted to have a DRL that functioned as both the DRL and a turn signal.
  • I'd need to replace the 5136 DLR socket (only 2 leads) with a 3157 socket (3 leads)
  • Wire it so that the ground goes to ground (obviously)
  • Connect the lead for the white light to the original DRL positive wire
  • Connect the lead for the amber light to the turn signal positive
That's the short and sweet version. Once I figured out a couple of details the rest seemed easy enough.

I'm planning on doing this mod soon. I'll be sure to post it (yes, with lots o' pictures) when it's done. I hope this helps!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't find a thread with a how-to for installing switchbacks. I just figured out what they are and how they work.

In short, they're 2 color LEDs, white and amber being the most common. There's a ground lead and a positive lead for each color, so 3 total.

So, let's say I wanted to have a DRL that functioned as both the DRL and a turn signal.
  • I'd need to replace the 5136 DLR socket (only 2 leads) with a 3157 socket (3 leads)
  • Wire it so that the ground goes to ground (obviously)
  • Connect the lead for the white light to the original DRL positive wire
  • Connect the lead for the amber light to the turn signal positive
That's the short and sweet version. Once I figured out a couple of details the rest seemed easy enough.

I'm planning on doing this mod soon. I'll be sure to post it (yes, with lots o' pictures) when it's done. I hope this helps!
What happens to power going to the white light when power is applied to the amber light?

OP
OP
Dutchman

Dutchman

Reaction score
I would guess that all the leds (both colors) come on. Someone with some experience with switchbacks might be able to answer that definitely.

That will be something I test for when I install them.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My switchback LEDs have the white on all the time when the truck on on, unless I turn off the master light switch. The white is far, far brighter than the original incandescent bulb. The yellow comes on only when I use the turn signal. I have not made any modifications, nor do I plan to.

OP
OP
Dutchman

Dutchman

Reaction score
So, now that I've done some more research...you guessed it...I have more questions.

Many of the switchback LEDs I've seen say they flash amber-off-amber-off. That's what I would want, of course. My question is this: normally, the turn signal flasher on the fuse box is what makes the turn signals blink. Does the switchback flash on it's own somehow? If so, how would that work if the cars flasher is sending intermittent signals?

Before anybody starts flaming me too bad, yes, I probably am overthinking it. But, hey, that's the way my brain works.o_O

Maybe I should just buy a pair of the dumb things and see for myself.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, now that I've done some more research...you guessed it...I have more questions.

Many of the switchback LEDs I've seen say they flash amber-off-amber-off. That's what I would want, of course. My question is this: normally, the turn signal flasher on the fuse box is what makes the turn signals blink. Does the switchback flash on it's own somehow? If so, how would that work if the cars flasher is sending intermittent signals?

Before anybody starts flaming me too bad, yes, I probably am overthinking it. But, hey, that's the way my brain works.o_O

Maybe I should just buy a pair of the dumb things and see for myself.

I made no modifications at all to mine. I simply replaced the incandescent bulbs with switchback LEDs.