Swapping torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that a member swapped his torsion bars side to side before installing keys. Can't remember the name.

Is there any reason to do or not do this?
Just asking cause I'm going to be installing keys on mine soon.

Thanks.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I can think of is that the gas tank is on the driver's side, and if the truck is predominantly used by a single person, all the weight is on one side, putting a bit more load on the driver's side bar. I know with a full 30+ gallons of gas (over 200 lbs), and my big 320lb ass in the seat, the truck has a slight lean to the driver's side. That's why you'll often find that the bolts are turned in further on the driver's side, the elasticity of the bar has degraded over the life of the vehicle, and the key has to be turned in further to achieve the same ride height.

Swapping the bars puts the "less degraded" bar on the side that takes the brunt of the weight.

Now that I actually thought about it, I think I'll be doing this when I swap out my keys in a few weeks, I'd have already done it, but I want to wait until the 30 day warranty on the Yukon XL I just bought runs out. Don't want the dealer saying I did anything to the truck, and voiding any issues that might pop up.

OP
OP
fire730

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured.

I will probably do the same when I install my keys.

Thanks.

06_2WD_Z71

Reaction score
This is interesting. I have 3" spindles but wanted a little more height. I ended up installing a key on the driver's side only, because there is a big difference between driver's and passenger - the driver's side needs much more crank to keep the vehicle level. With just a driver's side key, I can get enough lift on both sides. Maybe swapping the bars would be a good idea.

Rick McCutcheon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK getting ready to do this right now .. so if I do does the Arrow on the torsion bar mean the way the tension is "suppose " to be twisted? isn't that going to put the tension backwards on the bar (if switched ) won't that "degrade "them faster??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts