Swapping exhaust on a Denali 6.2: who here kept their old one/how?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m swapping the exhaust on my 22 Denali and wish to keep the factory exhaust should I decide the GM Performance exhaust is not for me. The dealer said they’re not sure how they can do that as the factory exhaust is so long they’re unsure how I’d transport it. I asked if it’s as simple as cutting the pipe so it takes the size down in half and the sales associate said she’d check into that. Anyone here keep your stock exhaust and if so, what did the tech do to make it a manageable size yet still able to be installed back on? TIA!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m swapping the exhaust on my 22 Denali and wish to keep the factory exhaust should I decide the GM Performance exhaust is not for me. The dealer said they’re not sure how they can do that as the factory exhaust is so long they’re unsure how I’d transport it. I asked if it’s as simple as cutting the pipe so it takes the size down in half and the sales associate said she’d check into that. Anyone here keep your stock exhaust and if so, what did the tech do to make it a manageable size yet still able to be installed back on? TIA!
you would need to either shove it in the back of the new truck and likely smudge things up, or load it in the back of a pickup or have it cut, gm will not sell any "pieces" of exhaust only whole parts so if you have it cut choose carefully so a 3rd party shop can weld it back together, gm will not weld anything.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would just bring a battery operated Sawzall (or just a hacksaw and some elbow grease) when picking the old setup at the dealer and cut it on each side of the long runs in front of and behind the muffler (on the straight parts not a curve). That should yield three pieces that will fit inside the cab with the seats down. Bring some drop cloths to protect the interior from all the crap. If you don't like the sound just take it all down to a muffler shop and they can reinstall the stock bits and weld it all back up.

You also might drop by your favored muffler shop and ask them if they have a suggestion of where you might make the cuts to make it easiest to re-weld.

Frankly, I am surprised they don't cut the stock one to get it out. All the clips I have seen entail a cut before/after/both to make it easier to get out. Although, most of the clips I have watched were with the Silverado and Sierra trucks.

Last edited:

vince7870

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you post thoughts once done? Good or bad

OP
OP
T

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would just bring a battery operated Sawzall (or just a hacksaw and some elbow grease) when picking the old setup at the dealer and cut it on each side of the long runs in front of and behind the muffler (on the straight parts not a curve). That should yield three pieces that will fit inside the cab with the seats down. Bring some drop cloths to protect the interior from all the crap. If you don't like the sound just take it all down to a muffler shop and they can reinstall the stock bits and weld it all back up.

You also might drop by your favored muffler shop and ask them if they have a suggestion of where you might make the cuts to make it easiest to re-weld.

Frankly, I am surprised they don't cut the stock one to get it out. All the clips I have seen entail a cut before/after/both to make it easier to get out. Although, most of the clips I have watched were with the Silverado and Sierra trucks.
Thanks very much! That’s great info!

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can definitely cut it into two or three pieces, no problem. try to do it in an area where the pipe is round and not crushed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the whole system is made to bolt on/off, it has to be unbolted to get the transmission out & in

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the whole system is made to bolt on/off, it has to be unbolted to get the transmission out & in
Got it. It must be a little different on the pickups, as every video on Youtube I have watched, they cut the tube somewhere past the muffler (a few cut it on both sides) when removing the stock exhaust. It looks like it has to do with getting the tube that leaves the muffler out as it goes over the rear axle.

Anyway, the point remains, if any of the pieces are too large to get into the cab, cutting one of the straight runs won't present any major problems if he decides to put it back in (pretty unlikely of the sounds I have heard on the clips are any indication of the upgrade).

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you do cut it, before you do, take a marker and make some alignment marks so when it's welded back together it can be clocked properly. It's probably obvious how it should go, but cheap insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700