Swapping cloth seats to leather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wish there was a sticky for this type of work. Any help would be appreciated. Looking for instructions.
Thank you

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm are you getting new covers or new seats? What year and model? All buckets?

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm are you getting new covers or new seats? What year and model? All buckets?

16 LS Tahoe
Going from beige cloth to katzkins leather. 2nd row 60/40, not captains.
I’ve done this before, but never on the Tahoe.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been a while for me but not going to be much different except the seat warmer and cooling ducts if you have them. Be sure to disconnect the battery before removing seats or you might get an airbag light. Katskinz makes good stuff usually with instructions and tons of YT videos but it’s a good idea to take some pics along the way and before tear down. Show before and after when you’re done

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I converted my GT leather seats to competition seats in my other car a couple years back. That was a pain with all of the carbon fiber trim, but came out better than factory. Compared to that, this should be a breeze, nevertheless, I’d like to know as much as possible ahead of time to save unnecessary aggravation

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with you. For me the headrest was a pain but otherwise separate the 3 parts, bottom,back, and headrest unzip and remove any hog rings, secure heaters, turn new cover inside out and fold over for bottom, roll down for back, as mentioned lots of good YT videos with Katskinz

rico387

Reaction score
wish there was a sticky for this type of work. Any help would be appreciated. Looking for instructions.
Thank you
I did mine years ago with a katzkin kit. I had zero experience with upholstery but I followed the directions. They came out fantastic and factory leather doesn’t compare. Here’s what they don’t tell you: although I am a very strong man and I have no arthritis, my hands absolutely ached from all the pulling and tugging necessary. I’m going to do my wife’s car, but I’m taking an anti inflammatory before I begin. The other thing is to make sure to warm the covers up in the sun. Lastly, be patient. It’ll be worth it.

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine years ago with a katzkin kit. I had zero experience with upholstery but I followed the directions. They came out fantastic and factory leather doesn’t compare. Here’s what they don’t tell you: although I am a very strong man and I have no arthritis, my hands absolutely ached from all the pulling and tugging necessary. I’m going to do my wife’s car, but I’m taking an anti inflammatory before I begin. The other thing is to make sure to warm the covers up in the sun. Lastly, be patient. It’ll be worth it.

Thank you. I’m very familiar with the pain the the hands. Swapped to competition seats in my vette, which meant not just covers, but entire frame rebuild. Called a buddy of mine at Johnson Controls. He laughed his butt off. Said I must be King Kong because they use jigs to set the frames and carbon fiber bezels in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645