swap out thermostat??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex29573

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i live in Miami and its really HOT right now. Today in a traffic jam my engine temp went a little past half way (210 is halfway on the dash)...

i thnk the stock thermostat is 190, but it always hangs out around 210

if i get a 160 thermostat, will it hang out around 180??

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running a 160* t-stat and my temps stay around 180-185* all day, and it's been about 100 degrees out down here.

OP
OP
A

Alex29573

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea its pretty hot here too, while i was stuck in traffic the LCD in the rearview mirror went up to 113 lol and when i got on the freeway it went down to 94

so is there any downside to running the 160 thermostat??

is the lingefelter thermostat the only choice we have? its about 50 bucks on ebay - is that a good deal?

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about a high flow thermostat with or without a high flow water pump???

Sometimes the higher flow pumps will flow too fast and the water wont stay in the radiator long enough to cool. I would just stick with a lower t-stat.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

so is there any downside to running the 160 thermostat??

is the lingefelter thermostat the only choice we have? its about 50 bucks on ebay - is that a good deal?

Mine's a Hypertech. Ordered it from Speed Engineering for $48 IIRC. The t-stats on our trucks run a bit higher in price than most because the housing and t-stat are one unit.

If you live in a colder climate I'd run the 180 instead so the truck doesn't stay in open loop as long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz