Suspension tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted_08tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I had a different thread about sway bars etc. But I am still not finding the info I need. We are going to buy the biggest sway bars I can get first off. With that being said, seems like everyone here likes the hellwigs....do we have a vendor on here for those and what end links should I be looking into? Secondly, I need balljoints, shocks, and tierods.

Balljoints- I just got off the phone with rough country and they do not offer and forged upper control arm for their 7.5" lift. They also stated with the extended knuckles I should run stock. I want things to last so does anyone know of an upgrade that is compatible??

Shocks- I have been contemplating the rough country mono tube shocks but I am now leaning to the fox shocks. Again if anyone has input for lifted shocks or vendors please chime in.

Tierods- I have never ran any aftermarket heavy duty tierods before other than buying replacements from autozone. Any input on these as well?

Thanks again for all the input and advice it definitely helps with peace if mind that I'm spending a lot of money on quality parts that come recommended from other owners.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Lifted_08tahoe For lifted applications people usually go for less or no sway bars from what I've read.

For balljoints I think that sticking with solid factory replacements is your best bet. @Tozan Has a pretty capable off-road rig and he runs factory style arms I think.

I would recommend Fox shocks over RC any day.

For tie rods check out Kryptonite, they should be a factory style fitment while being beefy, check with kryptonite for other upgrades as well.

What Rough Country is saying is that their 7.5 kit is designed to use Factory style components, their Forged upper control arms are designed to fit lifted applications so they wouldn't be a good fit for a kit that is made to use factory style parts.

My 2 cents is that my factory ball joints lasted me 160,000 miles which is respectable. If I wanted to get another 160,000 miles it would make sense for me to get factory ball joints again, right?

OP
OP
Lifted_08tahoe

Lifted_08tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up ordering forged Zone upper control arms this evening. This rig is my wife’s and she doesn’t plan on much off roading so it’s mainly a pavement princess. So stiffer sway bars will be a plus vs a negative. Just trying to determine what size to order and what links to get. I am leaning to fox shocks but was just reading bilstein may offer a smoother ride than the fox but not as light weight with less heat dissipation. Don’t think she will have to worry about that since it’s gonna be a daily driven road queen.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I would go with the fox.. The arms should be what ever works with your lift some lift kits require specific arms so when you are ordering parts be sure they will be compatible with your kit. From what I remember the RC 7.5 will use the stock configuration arms.

The links may be lift specific too.. If you get the wrong size they will be short lived or may limit travel or cause binding. Links last about 6 months on mine but, I am pretty aggressive driving off road.