Supercruise owners, thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the '23 Yukon Denali's, it was added to the standard equipment list instead of showing it as an option that couldn't be deleted like it was before.

The first few months GM had it listed as an extra line item under options...$905. of course it couldn't be deleted and after whatever blowback they received online/from consumers about having a standard option, they did away with that approach and just upped the base price by $905 and removed it from the "options".

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at it like having a cell phone, if you have one without a service plan all you can do is call 911. These new vehicles could require some sort of continuous updates or subscription to be drivable. Miss a payment and you can't drive your car.

MikeBoom

Reaction score
With a little over 2,000 miles on my Yukon I’m finding that I really like Supercruise. We have two homes, a townhouse in the Chicago ‘burbs and a cabin in SW Wisconsin, and drive between the two frequently. On shorter drives it’s more of a novelty, but now that I’ve made the three-hour plus trip a couple of times I really see the benefits of Supercruise, with about 70% of my route being mapped for its use.

You certainly can’t snooze at the wheel, and on those occasions where I’ve tried to test the system’s nanny functionality I’ve found that it reliably alerts you when your eyes are not on the road. What I do find, though, is that it does cut down on fatigue and makes the trip seem to go much faster. I suppose it’s a matter of not having to constantly fiddle with lane position and speed, but whatever it is I find I’m much more refreshed after the trip.

Overall, I think it makes longer trips safer. If you do attempt to mess around with something else in the vehicle it alerts you, and it still requires maintaining a focus on the road. On occasion—either because the road isn’t completely mapped or because the road markings are obscured—it’ll alert you, then disengage, keeping you aware of the fact that it’s not fully autonomous. This brings up my only criticism, which is likely just a result of its newness: some roads between bigger towns are not yet mapped, and others that show on GM’s map as having been mapped are not as fully covered as indicated. I’m sure that with time and periodic updates this will be less and less of an issue.

So, for me it’s a winner: less fatigue and possibly a little safer. I’m a couple of years away from having to pay for the subscription, but I’m likely to do so, particularly if GM continues to update its coverage. Of course, as this sort of tech continues to advance, I also imagine that in just a few years Supercruise, at least in its current form, will come to be viewed as outmoded. Until then I’ll enjoy it.

Last edited:

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After just getting my SC fixed I will be using it a lot on on upcoming trip. Looking forward to try it for a length of time,

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the issue on your SC? Was it just a software update?

DmaxDenaliXL

Reaction score
Finished a road trip to Gatlinburg, TN (~1500 miles round trip) and Super Cruise is the best. The time flew by and I was far more relaxed during and after the long hauls. I was able to better interact with the passengers and soak up far more scenery than I normally would have. I won’t have another road trip machine without it.

The programming is very well done. Very rarely did I need to take over and the majority of those instances were due to avoiding pot holes or other drivers creeping into my lane.

The programming wasn’t flawless. There were a few times it did an auto lane change and back that didn’t make sense. It was in the right lane with no one around. It changed to the left lane for no reason and then shortly later went back to the right lane. One time it jabbed the brakes when nothing was around us (overcast dry weather and clean/dry sensors).

But overall, I’m still very happy with it. Would I pay $xx/month? Probably not. I’d probably whine and complain about it and only pay for it when I know I’ll use it like a planned trip. I’m hoping GM will wise up and drop the pay to play model. Fingers crossed.

gman2890

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after 3 weeks at the dealer to fix my SC (which never worked), the field tech finally arrived and diagnosed a faulty image processing control module. No idea how long it will take to locate and get it to the dealer. So now I have the truck back without SC and no ETA on part arrival. Isn't GM the greatest?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic