Supercruise owners, thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you buy a cell phone and use it at it's full functionality without having to pay for service? not really - connect it to wifi, you have to pay for wifi...so there's an understood default cost of using a cell phone. That cost will vary depending on the user's shrewdness in picking a carrier along with their needs.

buy a vehicle. can't drive it unless you buy fuel (gas/diesel/electricity) - this would be the argument that's closer to owning a cell phone and having to pay to use it...the more you want to use it, the more you have to pay.

the cell phone example as compared to supercruise would be more along the line of buying an iPhone and then having to pay to utilize the hot spot functionality that is on your phone. most plans have hotspot usage as an add-on for their plans, but there are still plans out there that exclude hot spot usage.

difference now is that you'd be hard pressed to buy a new cell phone that doesn't have a hot spot built in.

GM (at least not yet) isn't going to charge a subscription to utilize a basic feature that's on even the lowest priced trim level. With supercruise only being available on the highest trims, they know what the buyers of those vehicles will pay for...

we all have opinions - ask 5 people and get 6 answers

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not likely. The functionality is almost certainly only available with a validated, known-good configuration. That means when the hardware and software engineered into the system is the basis for connectivity. Phone tethering was probably not deemed reliable enough by the engineers to deliver up-to-the-minute information to the supercruise system.

phone tethering not deemed reliable enough = remove the user bypass to having to pay our monthly fee.

wouldn't be much of a difference between supercruise disconnecting due to road/weather conditions that owners are experiencing and the system recognizing a weak internet connection

will be interesting to see what "we" are having to pay to use on a new vehicle in 10 years

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great technology, but I can't help thinking at we're still guinea pigs. I'd prefer not to pay for it, as I actually enjoy driving.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the minimum cost OnStar package with Super Cruise cost $50 a month after the initial free trial period, although I believe the Denali Ultimate gets 36 months free Supercruise OnStar, but the High Country with Advanced Technology Pkg does not get free OnStar for Super Cruise. At least that's how I interpret the window stickers.

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the minimum cost OnStar package with Super Cruise cost $50 a month after the initial free trial period, although I believe the Denali Ultimate gets 36 months free Supercruise OnStar, but the High Country with Advanced Technology Pkg does not get free OnStar for Super Cruise. At least that's how I interpret the window stickers.
It was a $900 package for 3 years of connective service that we had to buy. Not exactly "free" o_O

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a $900 package for 3 years of connective service that we had to buy. Not exactly "free" o_O
Yeah sorry, you're right, that's almost 1% additional cost of the truck.. and then you're taxed on top of it at purchase too :eek:

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have been less annoyed if they just increased the base MSRP and didn't call it out as an additional "option" Kind of a slap in the face.

DmaxDenaliXL

Reaction score
I would have been less annoyed if they just increased the base MSRP and didn't call it out as an additional "option" Kind of a slap in the face.
In the '23 Yukon Denali's, it was added to the standard equipment list instead of showing it as an option that couldn't be deleted like it was before.

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the '23 Yukon Denali's, it was added to the standard equipment list instead of showing it as an option that couldn't be deleted like it was before.
That wasn't my experience, not that it matters to the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs