Super charger advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Different strap tension on dyno runs can cause increase/decrease in HP.....

End of the day, people need to do their homework. Forums are full of info, not always the right info. So be sure to go to multiple sources.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'll try to find the Colorado thread also. 5.3 in Chevy Colorado he had a 1900 went to 2300 and had pretty much same gains

EnigmaMan

Reaction score
not to hijack the thread but if you CNC the heads, new intake, throw on some headers, new throttle body and a cam will probably be cheaper than the $6,000 for the super charger.
$6,000 will get a lot of motor work done and could probably even get a full rebuild with out having the hassle of a blower + oil / rebuild.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1208tr-5-3l-bow-tie-builds-mild-to-wild/
Peak Power: 501 hp at 6,500 rpm
Peak Torque: 452 lb-ft at 5,400 rpm

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a whipple on a raptor and a magnuson on a denali, id take the magnuson... much quieter and smoother power delivery

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
man i love the whine of the whipple. My c7 z06 is so quiet i hate it... then again ill be putting a whipple 2.9 when they are released in about 2 months should scream.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a whipple on a raptor and a magnuson on a denali, id take the magnuson... much quieter and smoother power delivery
That is the biggest thing we see with the Magnacharger over the Whipple on these torque request based systems (2014+ DI Trucks/SUVs). The Whipple systems use a bypass that is referenced to boost. The Magnacharger and Edelbrock systems use a bypass that is referenced to plenum vacuum.

The result is that the Whipple systems have a tendency to jump from vacuum to 2-3psi of boost at as little as a 1-2% throttle increase, whereas the Magnacharger and Edelbrock systems have a smoother, more linear boost build.

We run and sell both Whipple and Magnachargers and for DI vehicles, definitely have to tip the hat to Magnacharger for smooth boost application.

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed, that describes my experience exactly..

6.2 denali with tvs1900 magnuson

6.2 raptor with 2.9 whipple..

like i said, i prefer the magnuson smooth power delivery, plus the whipple is too whinny and loud...

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a tv1900 on a 6.2 denali

i have a 2.9 whipple on a 6.2 raptor...

i prefer the tvs1900... smoother power and quiet... the whipple has an instant surge off the line and is noisy

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the biggest thing we see with the Magnacharger over the Whipple on these torque request based systems (2014+ DI Trucks/SUVs). The Whipple systems use a bypass that is referenced to boost. The Magnacharger and Edelbrock systems use a bypass that is referenced to plenum vacuum.

The result is that the Whipple systems have a tendency to jump from vacuum to 2-3psi of boost at as little as a 1-2% throttle increase, whereas the Magnacharger and Edelbrock systems have a smoother, more linear boost build.

We run and sell both Whipple and Magnachargers and for DI vehicles, definitely have to tip the hat to Magnacharger for smooth boost application.
@Justin have you used the edelbrock on the 15+ 6.2l? I looked at the picture of the kit and it uses such a small cooler for the water to air cooler.
I have not seen the magnacharger or whipple parts so I don’t know if it’s just that’s as big as they can fit.

I’m trying to figure out which has the best parts between the three (although this thread has me leaning toward the smaller magna and edelbrock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972