Suitcase muffler delete/replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly a placeholder post.

The 6.2 does not sound very good and feels a bit sluggish. My 2016 Denali hard more pull, was louder, and had a much deeper exhaust note on cold start. I want to get rid of the muffler like I am seeing the guys do on their Sierras and Silverados. However, I really don't want highway drone. Looking for advice ideas from the group.

Options:
1. Muffler delete (no flap) will be to loud and have drone
2. Muffler swap for one of the ones being used on 19/20 GM pickups (No flap)
3. Muffler swap and keep the flap in place
4. Wait for Borla Touring exhaust (It was cat back on the old Yukon/Tahoe) and had the flap
5. ?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 18 silverado has the carven catback (no flap), very quiet unless I am getting on it, but it is a pickup so if there is any drone in the back I can't hear it like I would in a suv

OP
OP
Bigmanny

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, somebody on another site posted that the 6.2 has 2 flaps. I will get under later and try to confirm.

2 Flap. 1 on each side of the muffler and about a 3 foot long Suitcase...

Last edited:

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What real purpose do these valves serve? Is it the same for the 5.3, anyone? I had the flapper valve removed on my 2017 and added a Magniflow 12559. One of the reasons for the flapper delete on the previous models had to do with the shift from V8 to V4 mode which I hated. I don't think these new vehicles have that function, not that I have noticed anyway.

d0wnShifT

Reaction score
What real purpose do these valves serve? Is it the same for the 5.3, anyone? I had the flapper valve removed on my 2017 and added a Magniflow 12559. One of the reasons for the flapper delete on the previous models had to do with the shift from V8 to V4 mode which I hated. I don't think these new vehicles have that function, not that I have noticed anyway.

The valve is for exactly what you explained. We still have the cylinder deactivation on the 21s, however i think it's done differently. I can especially tell with the K&N i just installed. It switches modes all the time even under load.

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valve is for exactly what you explained. We still have the cylinder deactivation on the 21s, however i think it's done differently. I can especially tell with the K&N i just installed. It switches modes all the time even under load.

Thanks. Is yours a 5.3? I have not noticed any switching between cylinders on mine?

OP
OP
Bigmanny

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that AFM 2.0 can shut down any cylinder not just the same 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick