Suggestions/recommendations/experience with remanufactured cylinder heads to replace cracke Castec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically just like the title says. Looking for recomendations on remanufactured cylinder heads for my 2004 flex fuel 5.3ltr. It's got 252k on the rest of the drivetrain so really I'm just looking to go with a stock level replacement being it's a 12 year old Ohio vehicle. Been looking on eBay, and just curious if anyone has used anything from the vendors there.

OP
OP
scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thought has crossed my mind. I've got a line on a 6.0/4L80E for $800. I figure I'll have an additional $3/400 in a swap.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
The thought has crossed my mind. I've got a line on a 6.0/4L80E for $800. I figure I'll have an additional $3/400 in a swap.
That is super super cheep. I would jump on that in A hurry. Probably cheeper than just doing heads and would last you the rest of the time you own the truck. And the added power a bonus! I just did the 6.0 swap. Well worth it

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the seller have a good reputation or do you know them? Sometimes a great price means there is a problem. Is there a warranty if you find excessive bearing wear from high miles, poor maintenance or crazy driving? Some folks do not believe in wasting money on oil changes. At least pull a valve cover. There should be no sludge under there if the oil was changed at a reasonable mileage. My heads are spotless with 140K miles on a 2005 5.3 liter.

OP
OP
scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the seller have a good reputation or do you know them? Sometimes a great price means there is a problem. Is there a warranty if you find excessive bearing wear from high miles, poor maintenance or crazy driving? Some folks do not believe in wasting money on oil changes. At least pull a valve cover. There should be no sludge under there if the oil was changed at a reasonable mileage. My heads are spotless with 140K miles on a 2005 5.3 liter.

I know the seller. He wheels, and deals parts vehicles all the time. I've bought small stuff from him before, and he has always been fair. Idk I've been thinking about in and while a 6.0/4L80 swap sounds good on paper you've got to remember this is a 12 year old Ohio truck. The frame, suspension has significant surface rust, and the body is starting to rot out.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinken about doin the same thing except i was just gonna stick with a 5.3 but i was wondering does it make more sense cost wise to just go with a 6.0

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I haven't moded a 5.3 but if I was going to do it over again I would go with the 6.0 again. The power is night and day. I kept the 5.3 for a future project and will be putting the trucker cam in it. Then at least I will have some thing to compare the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe

Latest posts