Suggestions for tracking down sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morleyz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon SLT that has started making a weird sound. I know sounds are difficult to diagnose over the internet, but I'm looking for some ideas on how to figure this one out. The sound is most prevalent when I'm driving slowly through a neighborhood at certain speeds. It goes away if I increase or decrease, but it doesn't seem to be directly impacted by the speed or RPMs (meaning, it doesn't sound faster or slower with change in speed). It sounds like a ringing bell, or a hollow piece of metal that is loose and ringing, but not like a sound of a loose skid plate. It seems to be coming from under the car and in the front half of the vehicle. I have never heard it when I wasn't moving, but it doesn't seem to be caused by terrain. I first noticed it a few months ago and it hasn't gotten any better or worse. I've spent a fair amount of time under the vehicle trying to find something to tighten, but so far no luck. Hoping maybe this is a common sound that the experts here might already be aware of.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it sound more like a bell or a whistle? Does it sound louder with the the windows open or closed?

OP
OP
M

morleyz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely like a bell and it is louder when the windows are open.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Check your sway bar end links.... when the bushings break and disappear the washers will clank together and sound like a bell ringing.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a fast or slow ringing and does it increase or decrease with speed.

OP
OP
M

morleyz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it a fast or slow ringing and does it increase or decrease with speed.

It's not fast like an old style alarm clock, but I would still say it's a "fast" ringing. It doesn't seem to be affected by speed or RPMs as much as overall vibration of a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879