Suggestions for a Decent ODB2 Unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Looking to get an ODB2 for my 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid (that now has 200K miles on it; original owner). I travel with it a lot, so would like to have something that basically let's me know what codes I am throwing, and possibly clearing the codes after simple fixes. I don't do major repairs myself. Any suggestions would be timely as I am sure prices would be competitive now. Thanks for any advice!

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I initially started with a BlueDriver, but unfortunately came to realize it won’t read SRS codes for my Yukon which I was having, so opted for a Innova 5510. I’m happy with both. I keep the BlueDriver in the daily driver and keep the Innova at home. I’ve heard lots of people mention a Tech 2. If I remember correctly you need Microsoft Windows or a laptop or something like that for that to work.

How much you looking to spend? BlueDriver was $100 and Innova $250.

OP
OP
M

Marc Marc

Reaction score
I can afford a good one, if the features justify the price for a vehicle that has unknown life remaining. I need help figuring out the benefits vs. cost.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I initially started with a BlueDriver, but unfortunately came to realize it won’t read SRS codes for my Yukon which I was having, so opted for a Innova 5510. I’m happy with both. I keep the BlueDriver in the daily driver and keep the Innova at home. I’ve heard lots of people mention a Tech 2. If I remember correctly you need Microsoft Windows or a laptop or something like that for that to work.

How much you looking to spend? BlueDriver was $100 and Innova $250.
The laptop is not required for diagnostics with the tech2 but is required if you want to program modules.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech 2 seems to be the way to go. I use a Pro Launch 90 and it’s worked very well for all my cars and a few neighbors

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an ultra gauge 2, its cheap small and very handy to check and clear codes. Not much beyond that but for the price its hard to complain.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tech 2 is the way to go. You can get a fully functional knock-off Tech 2 for about $350, sometimes less. Then with a $40 per year subscription to ACDelco TDS, you can program modules to the latest GM software updates, and for most applications, you won't need to use a separate computer. I recently needed to replace my BCM, due to a hardware failure, and using the Tech 2 and ACDelco TDS, the job went smoothly.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tech2 chinacardiags sells them, it's a chinese ran website but they are legit and have good customer service, or you can find them on Ebay also I can't recommend any other website.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Small learning curve for the tech2, just an fyi.

If your just looking to read codes, there are other more basic options out there.

I forget the brand of my scan tool, but it's excellent.
(If i had shoes on i would go into the garage and grab it lol)

Main thing is to ensure it reads ABS and SRS.
I bought mine after AutoZone, Napa, etc. were unable to read an ABS code for me.

It also does the state Emission check, Handy to be sure i have everything in the "Ready" status before i go in for inspection... :)

That said, i have the Tech2 clone, and i love it.
Reads everything.
You can even do silly things like fold one mirror at a time manually while watching modules for errors. :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan