Subwoofer Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James C Bienvenue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been researching 8inch woofers that are within my price range, however I have no clue if any of these will fit the stock box for the Tahoe or if they're worth considering to begin with. Any feedback on these is appreciated as I'm going to begin actively looking for an enclosure tomorrow and may have something inia week or so .

Kicker Comps 40CWS48
Kicker CompR 43CWR82
Memphis Audio 15PRX8D4
Memphis Audio 15PRX8S4
American Bass XD844
Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 SHALLOW Mount
Skar Audio VD-8 D2

I know that's a lot but prices range here from $50s or so all the way to $100 on Amazon. Keep in mind I'd prefer to spend as least as possible here as I don't want to break my bank, but if anyone has suggestions on anything better, by golly I'll take that advice. Also, Ohms don't matter here I don't believe, my Boss R1100m amp I think can run either (but if my amp turns out being a problem I think I can part with it).

I just put a powerbass sub in my 02 tahoe.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re not going to fit much unless you use fiberglass so you can use all available space- square wood box isnt gonna give you much. There’s barely room for the factory 8 as it is.
There are a couple threads just a few pages deep. You cut out the jack mount if you have one, and the custom wood enclosures for that space are getting right about 1 cu ft.

OP
OP
R

RockTheHouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to do that I don't want to cut my jack mount or move it. Thanks for the info though . Hoping to keep this as stock as possible (not talking about the woofer itself, just the build). I'm also interested in figuring out how to pull the center console subwoofer out and replacing it, as well, though I have no idea how to even get to it. Haven't had much luck in way of finding tutorials on how to get there, though I kay just be looking at the wrong places or something .

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to do that I don't want to cut my jack mount or move it. Thanks for the info though . Hoping to keep this as stock as possible (not talking about the woofer itself, just the build). I'm also interested in figuring out how to pull the center console subwoofer out and replacing it, as well, though I have no idea how to even get to it. Haven't had much luck in way of finding tutorials on how to get there, though I kay just be looking at the wrong places or something .
You need to pull the entire center console out to take the sub out--much easier. It's a front firing sub, aimed towards the firewall.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:wtf2:

Ok, Sounds like you should go to the dealer, and see if you can order a complete bose system and have them install it for ya.

OP
OP
R

RockTheHouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a 2004, I doubt any dealer would help me. Plus, I want to get better woofers than the default Bose ones (they aren't bad but there's a lot better out there). I know it's a challenge getting a box to fit in the rear cubby without removing the jack but that's a challenge I'm willing to accept. I just don't want to cut the jack out is all. Just about anything else is at least up for discussion.

Going back to the center console, what size is the woofer down there? I know there is not much space down there but i assume it's a large enough space for a shallow mount 8inch, right?

OP
OP
R

RockTheHouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is that a stock box/one from a Yukon or Escalade, or is that a custom box? Looks very good the way you have it as it is. I'd like mine to be like yours. And unless there's more than just the jack back there idk of any other tools

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
One I snatched out of the junk yard from an ‘02 - mine is an ‘05. Also, had to seemed out each little slot in the woofer cover lol

OP
OP
R

RockTheHouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ahh ok. How does it sound? And me, I'd probably just cut the cover off and find another. I currently have a 12in Rockford Fosgate and the one in the center console, however that one doesn't work whenever I use the radio .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33