Subwoofer location preference.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on adding a sub or a pair of subs to my 03 Denali XL. My question is would it sound better to have one sub mounted in the cargo area roughly where the 00-02 sub was located in a custom box or two subs mounted under the 2nd row seat? Assume that the sub(s) would be the same. If you were going for overall sound quality which would yield better results? Would there also be any benefit to replacing the factory Bose sub in the center console with a better sub to use as a midbass driver?

josueh95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO i would say the back i have had about 12 pairs of different subs before from 15s competition to 10s and messed with configurations alot and having them in the middle of the truck is ok but facing the rear will give you much better results from what i have gathered before.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, like all mods it's personal preference and the size of your budget. You start with something you like and then never stop tweaking/experimenting. I recommend listening to other trucks like yours at an audio show or shop and listen to other systems to get an idea.

I like the idea of under the 2nd row. Two 10's are better than 1.

Justplayinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a single polk 10" under the 2nd row seats and it sounded horriable ..... the sub always bottomed out on the floor, so i moved it back to the cargo area and it sounded better. I hated the idea of a box in the cargo area due to i have 2 big dogs and like to ride back there so i just installed the Thunderform in the back panel where the Bose sub was....sounds awesome!!! I got mine reconditioned on ebay for $140 and i already have the polk sub.

i still have the under the seat box ill prod never use it again.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great deal for a thunder form. I want one for my next project. I have heard a couple of under seat boxes in silverados where the ports faces forward. Sounded good. I don't what brand it was, probably custom.

OP
OP
B

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to go with the Thunderform box but since I have an 03 Denali XL I am doubtful it will fit. The under seat box would be a good solution but I am not convinced that I would get the sound quality I am looking for. I have the under console Stealthbox in my 04 XL and I am not super happy with the sound of it either. I may just build a custom box for behind the rear plastics in the cargo area.

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
You could buy a sub box from a 2000-2002 Suburban. It has an 8" subwoofer. You could then replace that sub with a higher quality one.

jbb01

Reaction score
My personal preference is replace under center console with JL audio stealth box. Sounds great and is out of sight. Ifg paired with a good amp you can hear throughout truck

OP
OP
B

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal preference is replace under center console with JL audio stealth box. Sounds great and is out of sight. Ifg paired with a good amp you can hear throughout truck
I have that in my 04 XL and I am not super happy with it. While it is an improvement over the stock Bose, I do not not think it comes close to properly built box further back in a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia