Stupidity is painful.. broke a connector. Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Romulus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just installed new speakers in all the doors. Unfortunately, when I was disconnecting the connections on the driver's side door panel, I broke the plastic locking mechanism on the large main connector (16 pin?). This is the one where you insert the plug, then rotate the gray locking arm to latch the plug in place.

I talked to Napa and they have an adapter that doesn't require any splicing.. You unplug the factory plug and install the new adapter between the old plug and the door. Unfortunately, it's $275. I haven't called the dealer to ask, but I don't imagine it will be any cheaper.

I thought I could just pick up a used plug (or buy a new plug with no wires) and move the gray locking arm to my plug, but am not quite sure where I would locate one.

You guys have any ideas?

Attachments

• 20140308_134925.jpg
    20140308_134925.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
R

Romulus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh.. the issue I'm having is that all the controls work except for the lock/unlock switch on the driver's door. It will open/shut the other doors, but I've lost auto control over the driver's door. :Angry:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like just the lock of the harness is broken. It should not effect the operation. Try to connect it good and zip tie thAt bad boy. If the auto dosent work still look good at the other door plugs.

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super Glue!

You guys have any ideas?

Hey There, I broke a piece on my passenger door controls when replacing speakers and bought some super duper epoxy glue and fixed it that way.

Some glue would be worth a try considering the cost of that replacement part.

If it is just that the connector is not secure, maybe tie wraps if they would fit in the space?

If it was only the locking mechanism to the connector that was damaged, it doesn't make sense that your window controls would not work, so I suggest you take it back apart and look at all of the pins carefully to see if anything is damaged or bent.

Good Luck!! :boti:

Joe

OP
OP
R

Romulus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea, without the latch to hold the plug in place, I believe 1 or 2 pins aren't connecting which is causing the driver door lock actuator to not work. If I push the plug in and try the locks, the driver's door works fine. So yea, need the gray arm to lock on both sides. :eek:

I'll see if I can use some epoxy or somehow shove the plug in place. :D What an annoying thing to break...

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turn the broken pieces. That grey piece slides the locks in and out and the connector should still be able to hold together

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
De pin go to junkyard and get anothe connector and re pin. Or get a pigtail and sauter it on