2015 Yukon theft deterrent issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyRay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m new to the group. Just purchased our first Yukon. It is a 2015 with push button start.
We are frequently having issues starting the vehicle and getting a theft deterrent message on the display. Most of the times it can be fixed by exiting the vehicle with the key fob, locking the door, unlocking the door, then trying to restart it.
I had a brand new battery installed, but I’m having the same issues. Sometimes I’m getting more than just the dash warning coming on and the vehicle not starting. On these times everything goes dead. No lights on the dash, no power at all to anything.
I popped the hood and jiggled both cables on the battery, nothing.
Then, all of a sudden out of nowhere, the power just comes back on and I can start the car. Usually a few minutes later.
This is happening about every other day where the theft deterrent system is activated.
It looks like I’m gonna have to take it to the dealer.
Any ideas on what something like this is going to cost? Or any ideas for a quick fix without going to the dealer?

Thanks for any help you have.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

@iamdub @Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m new to the group. Just purchased our first Yukon. It is a 2015 with push button start.
We are frequently having issues starting the vehicle and getting a theft deterrent message on the display. Most of the times it can be fixed by exiting the vehicle with the key fob, locking the door, unlocking the door, then trying to restart it.
I had a brand new battery installed, but I’m having the same issues. Sometimes I’m getting more than just the dash warning coming on and the vehicle not starting. On these times everything goes dead. No lights on the dash, no power at all to anything.
I popped the hood and jiggled both cables on the battery, nothing.
Then, all of a sudden out of nowhere, the power just comes back on and I can start the car. Usually a few minutes later.
This is happening about every other day where the theft deterrent system is activated.
It looks like I’m gonna have to take it to the dealer.
Any ideas on what something like this is going to cost? Or any ideas for a quick fix without going to the dealer?

Thanks for any help you have.
that's a new one haven't heard of this happening with push to start.
my first guess would be grounds. battery cables, weak battery (have it tested). maybe even a fob relearn with the dealer. if you decide to try the releaern you will need all fobs because they have to all be done at the same time. there may be a way to do it from home. check the owners manual

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These models can be very finicky and do weird things if the electronics aren’t in perfect working order. We usually recommend a battery first and check the grounds. Then check the battery cables as they can corrode from the inside out. I would also check the fuse for the theft deterrent and make sure it is seated. Maybe there is a code deep in the system that the Dealer would have to uncover with their scan tool. I’m like Doubeleive and have not heard of this exact issue. Good luck and please update if you get it figured out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan