stupid mistake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I put my 06 4x4 Yukon transfer case into neutral, and then went to put in park with engine idling...OUCH! Stopped immediately when I heard a grind. Must have been in the trans. Then to make a **** up even bigger, when I went to put back into 2hi, I did it again with the engine idling, and herd a light clunk in the transfer case. Dumb, because the output drive in the trans turns in neutral some due to residual fluid pressure. Think I messed anything up? I'm so angry at myself!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the clunk was just the transfer case engaging. Grinding is never good but it happens. Is everything working normally? If so, file it away in 'things to think about if or when my transmission or transfer case fails in the immediate future.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the clunk was just the transfer case engaging. Grinding is never good but it happens. Is everything working normally? If so, file it away in 'things to think about if or when my transmission or transfer case fails in the immediate future.

+1. Some clunking is normal when shifting the transfer case.

I remember back when I had a 97 4x4 Tahoe, I grinded my transfer case a couple of times too (not knowing any better) and the truck never exhibited any symptoms afterwards. I think your truck is fine.