Stumble at part throttle, no codes: It's the torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Throttle Boss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Experienced all of the above symptoms over a 6 month period. 2016 Tahoe Lt w/ 110,000 miles. It was a bad torque converter and stock transmission fluid was not compatible per the Technical Service Report. Research your vin number for recalls and TSRs.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went after the ignition and intake stuff many folks have done. Nothing helped.
With more research, I settled on the torque converter shudder/ failing TC/ lockup clutch.
I was hoping to just replace the TC, but was concerned that its failing many have shed metal particles. So I connected a hose I use to change fluid to the trans oil cooler and pumped out a cup or so.
Yep, metal in the cup.
So rebuilt trans, TC and are about to happen. Good time to replace that leaking rear main seal as well.
View attachment 375476

My torque converter did the same thing. I was on a trip and drove it the 5 hour drive back home. Mine spit so much metal into the tranny that the tranny would not stay engaged at idle. While I ordered parts I had to change my idle speed to like 800 rpm so the transmission wouldn't violently engage as the revs came up. I rebuilt the tranny with one of those sonica upgrade kits, 80,000 miles later and still working perfect.

OP
OP
John H Daniel

John H Daniel

Reaction score
My torque converter did the same thing. I was on a trip and drove it the 5 hour drive back home. Mine spit so much metal into the tranny that the tranny would not stay engaged at idle. While I ordered parts I had to change my idle speed to like 800 rpm so the transmission wouldn't violently engage as the revs came up. I rebuilt the tranny with one of those sonica upgrade kits, 80,000 miles later and still working perfect.
Good to know... Yeah, last couple of days, mine was requiring revs before finally engaging with a jerk, leaving a stop. I've gotten pretty bold with the rolling "stops."
I don't have the resources to pull and rebuild it myself, so will go to Aamco or see if my local guy can do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John H Daniel

John H Daniel

Reaction score
Good to know... Yeah, last couple of days, mine was requiring revs before finally engaging with a jerk, leaving a stop. I've gotten pretty bold with the rolling "stops."
I don't have the resources to pull and rebuild it myself, so will go to Aamco or see if my local guy can do it.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am currently building a house and will have a lift when move but when I did mine I had to do it in the garage on jack stands in September in Texas so yes it was pretty miserable to do.

OP
OP
John H Daniel

John H Daniel

Reaction score
I am currently building a house and will have a lift when move but when I did mine I had to do it in the garage on jack stands in September in Texas so yes it was pretty miserable to do.
Man, that was a job! I can't imagine getting all that drivetrain back in place.
I figure I've already spent enough time on the pavement/dirt/concrete under cars that I don't feel too bad about farming out the major stuff.

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that was a job! I can't imagine getting all that drivetrain back in place.
I figure I've already spent enough time on the pavement/dirt/concrete under cars that I don't feel too bad about farming out the major stuff.

And mine is 4 wheel drive so that extra stuff too, the rebuild wasn't too bad to do it was my first time rebuilding an automatic so I was probably a little slow. I pulled it in the garage on Friday and was done by Monday. I bought a Cadilac CTS with a tranny leak, I towed it to my buddies shop that has a lift it was so much easier/less painful.

I know what you mean but I just refuse to pay someone for something I can fix myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10