Studded Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blondy1

Reaction score
Anyone running studs on their tahoe/yukon? Normally I would just go with all season but so far this year we have had two storms already and I'm wondering if I should play it safe , for under $700 I could do the whole package.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Anyone running studs on their tahoe/yukon? Normally I would just go with all season but so far this year we have had two storms already and I'm wondering if I should play it safe , for under $700 I could do the whole package.

Here in Oregon the state just allowed the studded tires to be put back on in October and then they have to come off by end of April, I believe. They are a must to get over some of the passes around here unless you want to pull over and chain up. If you drive a lot on icy roads I would put them on. If you avoid just one fender bender because of them, it is worth it.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I have a set of Nokian studs mounted on a second set of wheels. They go on when I'm heading into the mountains or when it's going to snow/get icy in town. 4WD is great for getting you moving but doesn't do a thing to help you stop. This is a heavy vehicle and the extra traction is a must IMO.

PokerMunkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did it do in the two storms? I say just slow way down when it gets dicey outside. I get around just fine on Michelin LTX M/S in my 4x4 Durango and I deal with a lot of hills living at 8,500'.

If you go with a winter tire, don't get studs. Hearing studs on dry payment 90% of the winter would drive me nuts.

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost bought a set of the Hankook studdable winter tires, but I was afraid they would be really loud on the highway. Is that true? I ended up ordering a set of the Yoko Geolander winter tires (non-studded) instead.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only conditions where studded tires have been shown to increase traction significantly over non-studded snow tires is on ice at around freezing temperatures. Now, that condition happens a lot on the mountain pass we take from where we live to where we ski so studded tires make sense for us. The reality is that the non-studded will probably work great for you.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You typically only need the studded tires about 1%-2% of the total time that you would have them on the vehicle. Just like a seat belt. I want them on just for that reason. I used to drive in K.C., Mo. in the ice and snow and did fine but some people around me just didn't know what they were doing and never should have been on that road. That is what I want the studded tires for. Noise be damned if safety is threatened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA