Tires, lifts, spacers, and the combination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm on 35x11.50s (285/75r18). I have 3" keys cranked about half way - I think actually 2" over maximum stock keys. I believe the rear is also about 2" over stock using spring spacers.

I've got 1.25" wheel spacers front and rear. Was necessary in the rear to clear the 35s.

I previously ran several sets of 33x11.50s (285/75r16) with just cranked front keys. I ran those both without any wheel spacers, and with 1.25" front wheel spacers. Worked well both ways. IMO honestly the perfect setup for a rig that will see limited or no off road use. The 35s are good, but I have considered going back to the 33s and lowering the height back some when I wear this set of tires out. In reality, limited off road use is all the GMT800s are good for unless you do a solid axle swap anyway, which I would like to one day but it is far from immediately pressing.

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
Yes, I'm on 35x11.50s (285/75r18). I have 3" keys cranked about half way - I think actually 2" over maximum stock keys. I believe the rear is also about 2" over stock using spring spacers.

I've got 1.25" wheel spacers front and rear. Was necessary in the rear to clear the 35s.

I previously ran several sets of 33x11.50s (285/75r16) with just cranked front keys. I ran those both without any wheel spacers, and with 1.25" front wheel spacers. Worked well both ways. IMO honestly the perfect setup for a rig that will see limited or no off road use. The 35s are good, but I have considered going back to the 33s and lowering the height back some when I wear this set of tires out. In reality, limited off road use is all the GMT800s are good for unless you do a solid axle swap anyway, which I would like to one day but it is far from immediately pressing.
Where does the rubbing happen on the rear? Is it mostly because of height, or because of width? I'll be going down an inch, but out width-ways an inch compared to yours, so it may give some idea of what I'll run into.
I was confused because I keep seeing people say "the tire was really wide, so I had to go up an inch". I wasn't sure how "up" is helping anything on the back side. Is it hitting where the fender well starts curving out or something?

If it's hitting right on the back side of the tire with a 1.25 spacer, the 12.50's are going to be harder to make happen.
I found a worn out nitto 35/12.50 and got it today, it's probably worn down to 33". Nitto mud tires run the full 12.50 measurement, so it will be a good gauge to see what I'll need to adjust.

The leveling keys don't get here until Wednesday unfortunately. I'm looking forward to messing with it to see what I can/can't make happen.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Where does the rubbing happen on the rear? Is it mostly because of height, or because of width? I'll be going down an inch, but out width-ways an inch compared to yours, so it may give some idea of what I'll run into.
I was confused because I keep seeing people say "the tire was really wide, so I had to go up an inch". I wasn't sure how "up" is helping anything on the back side. Is it hitting where the fender well starts curving out or something?

If it's hitting right on the back side of the tire with a 1.25 spacer, the 12.50's are going to be harder to make happen.
I found a worn out nitto 35/12.50 and got it today, it's probably worn down to 33". Nitto mud tires run the full 12.50 measurement, so it will be a good gauge to see what I'll need to adjust.

The leveling keys don't get here until Wednesday unfortunately. I'm looking forward to messing with it to see what I can/can't make happen.
You ought to clear 35/12.50s in the rear stock you may need some wheel spacers if you rub on the inside with the stock wheel. But that ain’t an issue.
With keys and minor trimming you ought to get atleast 3/4 turn or more out of em.
My buddy had a 04 with 3” keys we had 20x12s and 33/12.50s on it for a long time and for a min there we threw the 20” snowflakes and 35” terra grapplers on it and I don’t remember clearance ever being much of a issue
We did the normal nor cal mod to the front valance/plastic and trimmed the inner fender/cab corner nothing that was noticeable from looking at it unless you got up under it…

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
You ought to clear 35/12.50s in the rear stock you may need some wheel spacers if you rub on the inside with the stock wheel. But that ain’t an issue.
With keys and minor trimming you ought to get atleast 3/4 turn or more out of em.
My buddy had a 04 with 3” keys we had 20x12s and 33/12.50s on it for a long time and for a min there we threw the 20” snowflakes and 35” terra grapplers on it and I don’t remember clearance ever being much of a issue
We did the normal nor cal mod to the front valance/plastic and trimmed the inner fender/cab corner nothing that was noticeable from looking at it unless you got up under it…
That's great to hear, maybe this won't need as much of adjustment as I was thinking. The new ones I'm getting will be 33's, so that will help some also, dropping two inches down from the 35.
I'm really hoping the rear won't need big spacers, the back tires already track wider than the front stock. I'd hate to push them out another 2".
I heard The front will start rubbing worse if you space it out very much. So I guess one of my big concerns is if the back needs spaced way out, and the front has to stay stock, it would look kind of goofy.
If the back needs an inch or something, and the front could handle 1.5", that would look pretty good though, they would be pretty well in line.

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
That's great to hear, maybe this won't need as much of adjustment as I was thinking. The new ones I'm getting will be 33's, so that will help some also, dropping two inches down from the 35.
I'm really hoping the rear won't need big spacers, the back tires already track wider than the front stock. I'd hate to push them out another 2".
I heard The front will start rubbing worse if you space it out very much. So I guess one of my big concerns is if the back needs spaced way out, and the front has to stay stock, it would look kind of goofy.
If the back needs an inch or something, and the front could handle 1.5", that would look pretty good though, they would be pretty well in line.
I think the back only rubbed on the fender liner with the 35s and stock rims. With the offset wheels it weren’t a issue

As far as wheel spacers go a lot of crowd has ran 2” with the stock 17s and 35s with a leveling kit and they could still turn 3/4 of the way or more without scrubbing
It’s usually the wider aftermarket wider wheels with wheel spacers and not enough lift is when you have issues.
I think the biggest we ever cleared without a full blown lift was my buddy’s 05 we did 3” Keys 1.5” body lift and stuffed 22x14s on 33/12.50s and she cleared just about full lock.
A couple years later he got a 07 and he couldn’t fit them with just a leveling kit so he stepped down to 20x12s and 33s and they still scrubbed a lil bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
I think the back only rubbed on the fender liner with the 35s and stock rims. With the offset wheels it weren’t a issue

As far as wheel spacers go a lot of crowd has ran 2” with the stock 17s and 35s with a leveling kit and they could still turn 3/4 of the way or more without scrubbing
It’s usually the wider aftermarket wider wheels with wheel spacers and not enough lift is when you have issues.
I think the biggest we ever cleared without a full blown lift was my buddy’s 05 we did 3” Keys 1.5” body lift and stuffed 22x14s on 33/12.50s and she cleared just about full lock.
A couple years later he got a 07 and he couldn’t fit them with just a leveling kit so he stepped down to 20x12s and 33s and they still scrubbed a lil bit.
Ah, if the front can handle a 2-in spacer, then I guess that would just keep the stock tracking if the rear needed a 2-in also. That wouldn't be bad.
Of course I'll try to keep them in as much as I can, I prefer not to run very big spacers, but whatever the spacing needs to be, as long as they can be pretty similar from front to back would be good.

It's unfortunate that my torsion bars have sagged so much, I'm curious how much lift I can actually get out of my 3-in keys. The stocks are turned all the way up and it's still 2" low in the front. As long as it will bring it up level with the back though, I should be good with clearing the tires.

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Ah, if the front can handle a 2-in spacer, then I guess that would just keep the stock tracking if the rear needed a 2-in also. That wouldn't be bad.
Of course I'll try to keep them in as much as I can, I prefer not to run very big spacers, but whatever the spacing needs to be, as long as they can be pretty similar from front to back would be good.

It's unfortunate that my torsion bars have sagged so much, I'm curious how much lift I can actually get out of my 3-in keys. The stocks are turned all the way up and it's still 2" low in the front. As long as it will bring it up level with the back though, I should be good with clearing the tires.
Unless you get a knuckle style lift kit that pushes your track width out the front should be even with the rear If im not mistaken

Anything under 1.5-2” spacers you’ll have to trim your wheel studs to fit the spacer. That’s why I lean towards the 2” so no trimming
I’ve had spacers for 10 years no issues you just make sure they are torqued good when you install em.

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
Unless you get a knuckle style lift kit that pushes your track width out the front should be even with the rear If im not mistaken

Anything under 1.5-2” spacers you’ll have to trim your wheel studs to fit the spacer. That’s why I lean towards the 2” so no trimming
I’ve had spacers for 10 years no issues you just make sure they are torqued good when you install em.
Oddly my front seems to be in about 1/2 to 3/4" compared to the back. Not sure why. It's not very noticeable, but if you really look you can see it. I assumed that's the way they all were. Maybe it has something to do with my front suspension.

I don't mind trimming wheel studs, but it would definitely be easier to just use a 2-in spacer rather than trim. It may require that anyway to fit the tire with. Do you know if 1.5" requires cutting them, or does it just depend on the brand of spacer?

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Oddly my front seems to be in about 1/2 to 3/4" compared to the back. Not sure why. It's not very noticeable, but if you really look you can see it. I assumed that's the way they all were. Maybe it has something to do with my front suspension.

I don't mind trimming wheel studs, but it would definitely be easier to just use a 2-in spacer rather than trim. It may require that anyway to fit the tire with. Do you know if 1.5" requires cutting them, or does it just depend on the brand of spacer?
1.5” requires trimming 2” don’t require trimming
1/4” or 1/2” will work without trimming
I think your right the front is in more on the 99-06 vs the rearend
Most lift kits widen the track width up front depending on the brand

Most 3” keys will only give you 1.5-2” of lift
Back in the my highschool days we would rob 2000 model ford f150 keys from the junkyard and install them uncranked would give us around 2” and cranked up would net around 3” or more

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
1.5” requires trimming 2” don’t require trimming
1/4” or 1/2” will work without trimming
I think your right the front is in more on the 99-06 vs the rearend
Most lift kits widen the track width up front depending on the brand

Most 3” keys will only give you 1.5-2” of lift
Back in the my highschool days we would rob 2000 model ford f150 keys from the junkyard and install them uncranked would give us around 2” and cranked up would net around 3” or more
Wow, my 3" keys may not be enough then, considering my stocks are maxed out and I'm 2" low still. So the Ford keys give more height then the 3" lift keys, I didn't know that. I may need to send them back and go the Ford route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar