Stuck in 4 low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i took my mom to a dr appointment, got bored a hr in and decided it would be cool to see if the 4wd still works. good news is it works fine, just wont come out.

so far, i pulled the fuse, beat on the actuator off the t case, took the neg cable off the battery for a bit, nothing.

im guessing i need a new actuator? anyone else had this happen?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Will it come out if you roll slowly forward or reverse while switching the mode?

OP
OP
Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will it come out if you roll slowly forward or reverse while switching the mode?

i tried all that even picked up some speed toss into N and hit the button rolling. nada.

on the bright side i just got it to go back to 2hi. went out and tried to get it to go in t case N hold 2w and 4wh for 10 seconds, red light at the N should light up. it failed to move again, then i hit 2wd and i heard the clunk. and the 2wd light was lit up. it may have been over heated from being over 90 out and idling for over a hr with the ac on full blast. safe to say i wont be hitting them buttons again till i have to lol

also had to reset the ac as it was blowing hot from the battery pulling.

im gonna change that actuator once it gets cooler out. cant have that crap gong on.

OP
OP
Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too. Loved my manual 4wd selector in my Blazer.

this would be my first push button 4x4. ive had a number of trucks in the past, they all had the floor shiftier's, never had a issue with them.

now add a small dumb motor and some buttons, and just what you'd expect to happen will one day.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
this would be my first push button 4x4. ive had a number of trucks in the past, they all had the floor shiftier's, never had a issue with them.

now add a small dumb motor and some buttons, and just what you'd expect to happen will one day.
Exactly.probably had my Blazer 15 yrs, and the 4wd failed once--the eyelet in the cable broke--but it broke when I took it out of 4wd. Miss that truck.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You should never run in 4x4 on asphalt - they experience what is called torque bind. 4x4 is supposed to be used on slippery terrain where the wheels can slip and release some of the torque being applied to the gears - on asphalt they cant slip and the gears start to grind into each other binding everything up. And 4- low on asphalt is an absolute T-case destroyer! -never do that.

OP
OP
Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should never run in 4x4 on asphalt - they experience what is called torque bind. 4x4 is supposed to be used on slippery terrain where the wheels can slip and release some of the torque being applied to the gears - on asphalt they cant slip and the gears start to grind into each other binding everything up. And 4- low on asphalt is an absolute T-case destroyer! -never do that.

i fully understand all of that. i plowed snow for 25 years. i had no plans for a 10 mile ride home in 4 low. just got bored and started playing with shit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GCL24