Strengthening rear suspension for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Y

Yukonman209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So load leveling shocks. Can you take a pic that's more in line from front to back? What do the truck coil springs look like? See this driver's side pic for what the Nivomat shocks look like (you don't have those), and where the coil springs are on top of the axle.

View attachment 385513

Here's what the RPO sticker looks like:

View attachment 385514

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 11

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look like you had OEM nivomats ZW7 and G65 and they were replaced with whatever that coilover looking shock is to compensate for being a traditional dampener.

I would swap out your normal coil springs with one from a model without Nivomat, Autoride, etc or simply replace the Nivomats although that’s probably a more costly proposition

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look like you had OEM nivomats ZW7 and G65 and they were replaced with whatever that coilover looking shock is to compensate for being a traditional dampener.

I would swap out your normal coil springs with one from a model without Nivomat, Autoride, etc or simply replace the Nivomats although that’s probably a more costly proposition

My observation as well. We can't tell if the springs were changed from the softer ZW7/G65 spring setup to a standard spring. I'd probably just add airbags in the coils and air them up as needed.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never a fan of those spring over shocks after I tried them on one of my Squarebody Suburbans. Prefer air shocks or air bags.

OP
OP
Y

Yukonman209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is a good site for me to look up good springs because I looked on Amazon and they all look the same to me and then I read that on a certain year you can get the springs off a Dodge and fit them on but I don’t know how that would work out

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a good site for me to look up good springs because I looked on Amazon and they all look the same to me and then I read that on a certain year you can get the springs off a Dodge and fit them on but I don’t know how that would work out
Moog 81069 rear coil springs, these are the equivalent of GM HD springs used on Z71s and later generation ZW7 without Nivomats. 45H2164 for ACDelco Professional.

Isn't that Moog number the right one Ron? @OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Moog 81069 rear coil springs, these are the equivalent of GM HD springs used on Z71s and later generation ZW7 without Nivomats. 45H2164 for ACDelco Professional.

Isn't that Moog number the right one Ron? @OR VietVet
Same MOOG springs I use on my rig.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345