Strange transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCope79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay heres a quick rundown on the issue.
2009 Tahoe SSV with the 6spd auto.
It had been parked on jackstands for nearly 4 weeks while i was getting everything together to to longtube headers etc.. etc..
While it was torn down i went ahead and dropped the transmission pan to install a new trans filter.
Last night i got everything back together enough to start it up and check for leaks and whatnot. While it was running I replaced the transmission fluid that was drained when the pan was dropped.
While it was still on the stands and running i figured i would put the trans in drive , reverse, etc. When i put it in gear there is nothing. It doesnt seem to go into any gear at all. No wheelspin or movement at all. Anyone else had a similar problem with their Tahoe? Any suggestions on what to check first. Ill check to see if there are any codes other that the emissions codes from removing the cats. Yes having it professionally tuned is going to be done this week , as long as it will go into gear and can be driven to the tuning shop. Im stumped on what has went wrong. I didnt unplug anything associated with the trans.
On the bright side it does sound Really GOOD.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the transmission display it's in drive ?

How is the level of the transmission fluid itself ? Did you remove the cable to remove the pan by chance ?

OP
OP
J

JCope79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the transmission display it's in drive ?

How is the level of the transmission fluid itself ? Did you remove the cable to remove the pan by chance ?
The display shows to be in gear and the fluid level is within operating level. I was actually wanting to run it on the stands to circulate the fluid a bit and recheck the level
I only removed the pan, emptied it, cleaned the sediment out, replaced the filter and re-installed everything.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it rev like it’s in neutral?
Is the parking brake on?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think in the process of tearing everything down for long tubes and whatnot something is disconnected. Time for a thorough inspection

OP
OP
J

JCope79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think in the process of tearing everything down for long tubes and whatnot something is disconnected. Time for a thorough inspection
Agreed, but the only thing that I intentionally unplugged was the O2 sensors.
I'll check again but is there anything else other than something unplugged that I should look for?

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you hear it physically make a sounds when you change gears? Any reason the drive line would be disconnected.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sucks, hope you figure it out. Should be something stupid. You have anybody else under there messing around?