strange clicking noise..alil help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denali00

Reaction score
i got an 00 denali and been slowly gettin it back up to par. bout 2 weeks ago i started hearing a clicking noise, thought it could b something w the wheels, but i think i got it narrowed down to the tranny..in park no noise, when i start driving i here it mostly when i let off the gas, can hear it up to bout 35mph but then i think the wind covers up the noise...anyone got any ideas for me, im hoping for something just being loose but didnt see anyything out the norm..so maybe something internal..idk

OP
OP
D

denali00

Reaction score
doesnt seem to vary much at all...its a light clicking noise to..the ujoint is more of a clunk or thud aint it??.. doesnt shift hard either..i would much rather it b a ujoint then the tranny, atleast i can change that fairly cheap...only makes noise in drive as i let off the gas pedal for the most part

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my u-joints went they squeaked, but it varied with speed. Yours is a stumper. I would think if it were anything in the drivetrain it would vary with either speed or rpm.

OP
OP
D

denali00

Reaction score
that what i thought too..thought it was suspension related but had a buddy walk beside the truck to pinpoint sound and he thinks it came from the tranny area..he works for a car shop, not a mechanic just a fluid changer for the most part, but he has a few years dealing w cars

OP
OP
D

denali00

Reaction score
did that today..its not a costant clcik either..kinda varies, not speed related

Bigblue01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
its the u joints on the front driveshaft. I have the same problem. I just replaced the rear driveshaft u joints and should of did the front. This is a common problem over 100,000 miles.

OP
OP
D

denali00

Reaction score
how would u check to see if it is the front ujoint or not?..

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

i did notice the tcase had a small drip coming from the rear seal..so maybe a tcase tick..idk..any help would still b awesome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz