Stock subwoofer blown, looking for easy replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texas1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought a 2002 Tahoe and the subwoofer is blown from the previous owner. I am looking for the GM genuine OEM replacement yet cannot seem to find it. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I just want good sound without having to mess with fuses, amps, wiring or other stuff. I am not knowledgeable on car audio yet would like to listen to music without the piss poor sound the current sub puts out or does not put out.

I saw this guy on Youtube
post an excellent tutorial on how to replace the stock sub with a JL Audio 8W3V3-4 8" Single 4-Ohm W3V3 Series Subwoofer - https://amzn.to/37uVoIO yet in the comments he mentions he installed an AMP and I'm not ready to fiddle with an AMP. Any recommendations? Thank you.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that you are referring to a JL Audio W3 series subwoofer. That W3 series will require a fair amount of power to produce good clean sound, and IMO, your stock system will be hard pressed to supply enough power. Don't get me wrong, the W3 series is a superb subwoofer, but they do require a lot of power to perform.

Did you check the Crutchfield web site? Enter your truck's details, and see if they have a direct replacement for your truck.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Joseph gave you sound advice. He’s got a great setup and knows audio. Maybe @915_Tahoe can give you an original part number and a source if they go back to 02.

ak_yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a planet audio sub. Fits the stock box just had to drill new mounting holes, had to connect two wires on the sub to go from 4 ohms to 2 or the other way, don’t recall. There was a YouTube video explaining it and I got the sub recommendation from this site. It was $30 on Amazon and sounds good to me but I’m no audio snob.

JasonLmarsh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've done the Planet Audio Sub ak_yukon posted on two different Yukons and was very happy with both using the stock amp. It's super cheap, fits the box and sounds great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan