Still have my 04 tahoe, BUT, this is different... please please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
Holy crap 1k a week? How mny miles are on ur hoe? Lol

Wow....with wifey driving my Prius, my legend is down with broken heater core and crank pulley I'm daily driving the hoe.....gas mileage hurts but my back no longer does lmao :)

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
you can find that motor for less than $700 at most junkyards, and to swap it would take you all of a long afternoon. run it till it dies and start looking for viable swaps in the meantiime.

That was kinda my thought... but I have not explored that option just yet.

The tahoe has 180k... i bought it a few years ago with very low mils too... but she still purrs like a kitten, except the fuel pump if going out on her.

I will see in the morning what the mechanic says about the honda.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Holy sh$t, 1k a week!!!!! I thought I was driving my Tahoe too many miles, 500 a week to work, North Phoenix to Mesa (being from Arizona should understand lol)

Sorry to hear about your Civic tho, wish I could help. Nice having that kind of ride to ease the wallet from gas and wear n tear on the Tahoe.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
white - I live in south gilbert (almost queen creek) and work just south of Anthem... but thats not all, I drive my daughters into north chandler four days a week for gymnastics and my son to football... So those miles were killing my old girl and the gas (premium since I got it tuned) was killing my wallet.

Cars at Sun Devil now... we should grab a beer one of these days though. Always cool to see fellow TYF guys local. (even though I havent been on in a while)

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
U no Honda motors are super cheap.... I see them all the time with trans for $400 or without trans for $250.... That's the d series engines tho. When getting I.to b series motors it gets a little more explesive but yea these cars are super cheap to repair..... Now are you going to post a pic of it lol?

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
Its strictly a commuter car. purposely bought the single overhead cam motor w/ standard tranny because its purpose is to save gas.

I can't seem to find a place to buy a trustable honda civic motor. Any thoughts? I really need to get this lined up so I can prepare for worst case scenario.

When I get her back from Sun Devil, I will snap a few pictures of the ugly *****... but there is really nothing to see, no rims, no tint, nothing... just a white four door hideous honda civic that I hate driving 99% of the time... that 1% when I like it is when I fill it up for $30

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Sun Devil just called... those ******* ***** bastards said "it sounds like the problem is coming from the top of the motor. Do you authorize us to take off the valve cover to take a look for $105.43?" Of course this is on top of the $98 I already paid for the diagnostic. I told the ***** that taking the valve cover off is 8 minutes worth of work and I was under the impression that was what I was paying for in the first place.

done venting

so far, the trouble code (engine light) was tripped by the distributor which will not go out until the distributor is replaced, even though the distributor is not bad. However, that is not the actual problem (at least I dont think so). I am thinking a lifter or rocker or something like that. They are pulling the cover off now and will get back to me

I really wish I was more comfortable with diagnosing the inner workings of a motor because I am betting I could have done this work myself.

Updates to follow

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Dayum!!!!! That is quite a haul to say the least, on top of the Fam hauling around. I can't quite feel ur pain, but live around 51 & Bell and work at Greenfield & Brown. Plus picking up kid from school everyday at the Biltmore area. Gonna start driving a 4 bang Corolla myself. $30 to full up is better then $70++, so I hear that. Tahoe for show, 4 bang for go!! Haha

usual culprit when oil runs out is around top end, from my experience. But hard to diagnose without hearing. Sounds like you know what's up tho, n won't let them take you for a ride. I can ask a guy I know if he knows a good place to get parts or engines for your car. He is big into 4-6 bang ricer rides.

We should definitely grab a brew sometime, and shoot the sh$t. Always down to meet fellow TYF peeps.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Wow... I've taken the valve cover off qndo its actually pretty easy for me since mine is a b series but I imagine u have a d series so its also easy but Honda motors are very easy to work on. My Honda is also kinda ugly ruby now only because its not finished being built up but I will like mine when it is running and funny thing is on Honda tech some fools complain of the has being too high.... Really.... They need to compare their Honda to a Tahoe lol

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Here's my pos picture.jpgpicture.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Actually I see yall r from az and ring now I'm in phoenix n have seen Honda engines on Craigslist go very cheap. I'd look into them if you do need a need engine

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
BTW, its a D16Y7 (SHOC 1.4L P.O.S.)

I dont know much about these things, but do I need exactly that same motor?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
If u want it to just pop in yes but you can drop any d series motor in and get the harness and it should he good. If u go with a different series its more work like the mounting brackets need to e swapped out for the engine that's going in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts