Still have my 04 tahoe, BUT, this is different... please please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
So I recently bought a 98 civic to save on gas to and from work. I still have the hoe, but its to expensive on gas.

I changed the oil this weekend in the civic and used all the cheapest shit, long story short... The seal on the oil filter broke while I was driving and let all the oil out of the motor. I saw the oil light and turned back for home. Once I pulled into the driveway, the car started making HORRIBLE metal noises... ZERO oil in crank case.

I changed the oil and put a new filter and all seemed ok (nothing to report)... until I went to pickup my daughter. After a few miles the car threw the engine light.

Code - Camshaft Position Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction.

Did I total ruin this motor?

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

BTW, I would have went to a civic forum, but those are full of tool-bags and rice loving assholes! No practical knowledge to be found on those. So I have to rely on the TYF here

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ran that low on oil there's a good chance your motor is toast. Yikes!!

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
Actually runs very well still... Except it iidles low when I turn on the ac. It's not running the same way it did yesterday, but if I hadn't drove it ever before I probably would have assumed it was normal since the car has over 200k on it

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first suggestion would be to drain the oil to see if you have a lot of metal shavings in the fresh oil. That will be a dead giveaway.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yep Honda tech has a lot of assholes..... What motor u got? D series? N yea check for shavings

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
after putting about 30 miles on the new oil and filter, I completely drained the oil into a large clear glass bowl (clean) so I could take a look at the oil. No peices of metal, but the oil was a little "shiney" in the sun... I did not have an untanited sample to compair to, but that tells me that there is metal 'dust' in the oil.

I will put about 100+ miles on the car today and take a look at the oil again. I am guessing that the cam and bearings are torched... again, it still drives fine, but I am sure it wont for long.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after putting about 30 miles on the new oil and filter, I completely drained the oil into a large clear glass bowl (clean) so I could take a look at the oil. No peices of metal, but the oil was a little "shiney" in the sun... I did not have an untanited sample to compair to, but that tells me that there is metal 'dust' in the oil.

I will put about 100+ miles on the car today and take a look at the oil again. I am guessing that the cam and bearings are torched... again, it still drives fine, but I am sure it wont for long.

So then the question is do you replace the car with another commuter, fix the motor, replace the motor, or ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts