Steering Wheel Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heathen0042

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was having the "Traction Control Off " , "Service Stabilitrack" and "Service Brakes Soon" messages display on my truck. I noticed that this occurred anytime I turned my wheel directly after start up. If I drove in a straight line it would not happen. After some digging on the internet I figured I would replace the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor.

I replaced it but it turns out the new one is defective. The reason I know this is because I took it to my mechanic to try and re-calibrate it after the errors didn't go away. He said the new sensor was defective. It will be about a week before the new part comes in for me to install. Do any of you know if it would be okay to continue driving it like this or would it cause more issues down the line? Is it safe to drive in the interim? Thanks in advance.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you will have any issues with driving it for a week or so until you get the new one. Our '08 XL Denali had this same issue. We went through 2 sensors in short order. With the 2nd one we would get errors even just sitting in a parking lot idling. We did not get the Service Brakes Soon message though. Ended up trading it in on a '13 before we got around to putting a 3rd one in.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How difficult is this sensor to change?
You have to pull the steering wheel and drop the column. There’s a specific method that must be followed or you’ll mess up the new sensor. I highly suggest a subscription to alldatadiy so you have access to the service manual.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to pull the steering wheel and drop the column. There’s a specific method that must be followed or you’ll mess up the new sensor. I highly suggest a subscription to alldatadiy so you have access to the service manual.
That sounds like a joy to do.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a joy to do.
It’s not that bad, it just has to go over the end of the steering shaft ( it’s a circular part) and you have to strap or tape the steering wheel so it doesn’t move, then line up the sensor as you install it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, forgot about that bulletin. I tried it with no luck. First, I cleaned the pins and added a shim, and when that didn’t work I replaced the pigtail and then when that didn’t work I replaced the sensor, and bingo.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, forgot about that bulletin. I tried it with no luck. First, I cleaned the pins and added a shim, and when that didn’t work I replaced the pigtail and then when that didn’t work I replaced the sensor, and bingo.
I figured I wouldn’t even mess with the pigtail, either this works or the sensor is toast. Then I need to decide if I care enough to change that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts